Python GUI Programming Cookbook Develop functional and responsive user interfaces with tkinter and PyQt5
- Use object-oriented programming to develop impressive GUIs in Python
- Create interesting charts to visually represent data using Matplotlib
- Develop GUIs with the latest versions of tkinter, PyQt5, and wxPython frameworks
Python is a multi-domain, interpreted programming language that is easy to learn and implement. With its wide support for frameworks to develop GUIs, you can build interactive and beautiful GUI-based applications easily using Python. This third edition of Python GUI Programming Cookbook follows a task-based approach to help you create effective GUIs with the smallest amount of code. Every recipe in this book builds upon the last to create an entire, real-life GUI application. These recipes also help you solve problems that you might encounter while developing GUIs. This book mainly focuses on using Python's built-in tkinter GUI framework. You'll learn how to create GUIs in Python using simple programming styles and object-oriented programming (OOP). As you add more widgets and expand your GUI, you will learn how to connect to networks, databases, and graphical libraries that greatly enhance the functionality of your GUI. You'll also learn how to use threading to ensure that your GUI doesn't become unresponsive. Toward the end, you'll learn about the versatile PyQt GUI framework, which comes along with its own visual editor that allows you to design GUIs using drag and drop features. By the end of the book, you'll be an expert in designing Python GUIs and be able to develop a variety of GUI applications with ease.
What you will learn
- Create amazing GUIs with Python's built-in tkinter module
- Customize GUIs using layout managers to arrange GUI widgets
- Advance from the typical waterfall coding style to an OOP style using Python
- Develop beautiful charts using the free Matplotlib Python module
- Use threading in a networked environment to make GUIs responsive
- Discover ways to connect GUIs to a MySQL database
- Understand how unit tests can be created and internationalize GUI
- Delve into the world of GUI creation using PyQt5
Who this book is for
If you're a programmer or developer looking to enhance your Python skills by writing powerful GUI applications, this book is for you. Familiarity with the Python programming language is necessary to get the most out of the book.
Burkhard Meier has more than 19 years of professional experience working in the software industry as a software tester and developer, specializing in software test automation development, execution, and analysis. He has a very strong background in Python 3 software test automation development, as well as in SQL relational database administration, the development of stored procedures, and debugging code.
His previous jobs include working as a senior test automation engineer and designer for InfoGenesis (now Agilysys), QAD, InTouch Health, and FLIR Systems.
Over the past three years, he has also developed several video courses on Python for Packt, the latest course being Mastering Object-Oriented Programming with Python.
- Creating the GUI form and adding widgets
- Layout management
- Look and feel customization
- Data and classes
- Matplotlib charts
- Threads and networking
- Storing data in our mysql database via our GUI
- Internationalization and testing
- Extending our GUI with the wxpython library
- Building GUI's with PyQt5
- Best practices