CakePHP Application Development: Step-by-step introduction to rapid web development using the open-source MVC CakePHP framework (Paperback)
Ahsanul Bari, Anupom Syam
Cake is a rapid development framework for PHP that uses well-known design patterns and provides a structured framework that enables PHP users at all levels to rapidly develop robust web applications, without any loss of flexibility. It means you can code faster, your code is better, and it makes writing Web 2.0-style apps a snap.
This book offers step-by-step instructions to learn the CakePHP framework and to quickly develop and deploy web-based applications. It introduces the MVC pattern and coding styles using practical examples. It takes the developer through setting up a CakePHP development and deployment environment, and develops an example application to illustrate all of the techniques you need to write a complete, non-trivial application in PHP. It aims to assist PHP programmers to rapidly develop and deploy well-crafted and robust web-based applications with CakePHP.
What you will learn from this book?
- Develop well-structured applications faster, using CakePHP's MVC
- Install and set up CakePHP
- Create and configure your database to build a bookmark manager interface step by step
- Build a model that that integrates with your database and provides basic features to your application: inserts, updates, deletes, searches, and relationships
- Create views that present the user interface in an attractive, organized, and maintainable way
- Develop controllers to interact with model classes, use callback functions, and create reusable components
- Prototype applications fast using scaffolding to auto-generate user interface code
- Create custom user interfaces using layouts, elements, helper classes, and CakePHP's FormHelper
- Build complex data models with multiple related tables, using Cake associations
- Enhance your data models by adding new functionalities like user authentication and data validation
- Automate repetitive tasks and speed up development using shells
- Reduce the amount of code you write yourself using Bake to automatically generate essential code based on your database design
- Work with user pages, search, pagination, and RSS
This book starts by installing Cake and building our first application, then looking at each main component of a CakePHP application in detail. We then learn how to build Web 2.0 style applications quickly using a case study application. The book is packed with example code and demo applications, so that you can see techniques in action.
Who this book is written for?
If you already know PHP and want to develop cutting-edge Web 2.0 applications, or see how to write code in a faster, more productive way, then this book is ideal for you.