Blender 2.49 Scripting
If you already know Blender and some Python, this book will help you greatly increase the power and flexibility of this tool. Learn in easy steps how to use scripting to add brand new functions and efficiencies.
- Gain control of all aspects of Blender using the powerful Python language
- Create complex meshes programmatically and apply materials and textures
- Automate the rendering process and extend Blender's image manipulation capabilities
- Extend Blender's built-in editor
- Interact with version control systems and store render results on a FTP server
What you will learn from this book
- Discover what can be accomplished in Blender with the help of Python
- Explore built-in modules and add an object to a Blender scene
- Create configurable mesh objects and modify them
- Define and enhance vertex group and add modifiers to an object
- Explore scriptlinks and spacehandlers and perform activities on each frame change in an animation
- Manipulate IPOs and act on frame changes
- Build a web server delivering CAPTCHA challenges and archive unreferenced assets
- Develop custom shaders and slope-dependent materials
- Animate objects with complex constraints and relations and automate rendering
- Extend Blender's image manipulation
- Create simple and effective user interfaces
The focus of the book is on practical problems and how to solve them in Python. The examples given are useful programs that try to solve real-world needs. Each chapter revolves around a single concept giving several examples gradually growing in difficulty. Each section analyses the problem first before diving into coding and gives extensive background information to enable the reader to generalize from the specific problem to a wider range of challenges. The sample code is provided as fully working examples with all key issues extensively highlighted. All sample programs are clear and concise yet nothing essential is left out and the programming style focuses on readability rather than on stylistic rigor or efficiency.
Who this book is written for
This book is for users comfortable with Blender as a modeling and rendering tool who want to expand their skills to include Blender scripting to automate laborious tasks and achieve results otherwise impossible. Blender experience is essential as is some experience in Python programming.
Blender 3D is a popular, open source modeling package that can produce photo-realistic 3D images and animations. Automating tasks and extending the functionality of an extensive application like Blender will streamline your workflow and make the impossible possible. However, implementing scripts may be daunting.
This book takes a practical step-by-step approach to implementing Python scripts that cover almost all areas of Blender. It clearly outlines each problem and focuses on straightforward, easy-to-understand code, highlighting the common pitfalls and Blender idiosyncrasies. It guides you from the installation process and the creation of a simple object to elaborate, fully rigged models with vertex groups and materials all the way to extending Blender's built-in editor. It also teaches how to implement a simple web server inside Blender to serve rendered images. This book will take you from a clear problem description to a fully functional program. The focus is on finding your way in Blender's vast array of possibilities and getting things done without losing too much time on programming details. Each script is carefully explained to provide insight that can be reused in other projects.
This practical book will help you gain control over all the aspects of Blender using the Python programming language