Getting Started with Oracle Data Integrator 11g: A Hands-on Tutorial
D. Hecksel, B. Wheeler, Peter Boyd-Bowman, Julien Testut, Denis Gray, Christophe Dupupet
Combine high volume data movement, complex transformations and real-time data integration with the robust capabilities of ODI in this practical guide
- Discover the comprehensive and sophisticated orchestration of data integration tasks made possible with ODI, including monitoring and error-management
- Get to grips with the product architecture and building data integration processes with technologies including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and XML files
- A comprehensive tutorial packed with tips, images and best practices
Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is Oracle's strategic data integration platform for high-speed data transformation and movement between different systems. From high-volume, SOA-enabled data services, to trickle operations – ODI is a cutting-edge platform that offers heterogeneous connectivity, enterprise-level deployment, and strong administrative, diagnostic, and management capabilities.
"Getting Started with Oracle Data Integrator 11g: A Hands-On Tutorial" provides you with everything you to get up and running with Oracle Data Integrator, and more! Following an example scenario, the book covers essential information about the ODI architecture and using ODI across different databases (Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL), and file types such as XML, before covering Orchestrating Data Integration Workflows, Error Management, Operational Management and Monitoring, and beyond.
"Getting Started with Oracle Data Integrator 11g: A Hands-On Tutorial" begins by describing the Oracle Data Integrator architecture and teaching you to install the product following best practices. You’ll then be introduced to some of the key concepts of ODI such as the Knowledge Modules.
Later topics include moving and transforming data from sources to targets including the Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Flat files, and XML files, each with illustrated hands-on examples for the different technologies. Your learning experience will be made all the more rich with chapters introducing, explaining and leveraging additional ODI functionality such as variables, reusable procedures, temporary indexes and more.
Finally ODI's workflow and task orchestration capabilities are explained before introducing you to Error Management with ODI's built-in 'error hospital' and 'error recycling' capabilities for non-compliant data, not to mention tackling ODI Studio, ODI Console and Enterprise Manager Fusion Middleware Control.
What you will learn from this book
- Get to grips with the various components of the Oracle Data Integrator architecture
- Learn how to install ODI quickly and effectively using recommended best practices
- Orchestrate your data integration processing by designing ODI packages and scenarios
- Discover how to develop ODI interfaces in order to effortlessly move data between servers and files
- Get the full lowdown on both Error Processing and Management and Monitoring
- Give your knowledge a boost with in-depth coverage of various data sources and targets including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and XML files
- Master key ODI concepts like Physical and Logical Architectures or the Knowledge Modules
- Take advantage of expert advice from the authors’ combined 15 years of ODI experience
"Getting Started with Oracle Data Integrator 11g: A Hands-On Tutorial" is a practical tutorial bursting with tips, illustrations and real-world best practices to get you on your way with ODI.
Who this book is for
If you are a software/ETL developer or database administrator who is new to Oracle Data Integrator but want to get hands-on with the product quickly, then "Getting Started with Oracle Data Integrator 11g: A Hands-On Tutorial" is for you. You should have some experience with databases, SQL and ETL technologies.