Learning Perforce SCM
Robert Cowham, Neal Ralph Firth
- 出版商: Packt Publishing
- 出版日期: 2013-08-10
- 售價: $1,440
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,368
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 254
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 1849687641
- ISBN-13: 9781849687645
Taking control of your coding activities is simple using this guide to Perforce SCM. Written by an expert in the field, it takes you through the key concepts and practical day-to-day applications in an accessible, friendly style.
- Master the use of P4V - the Perforce Visual Client
- Get into the Perforce mindset for seamless use in your daily work
- Grasp key concepts and learn how to apply them for proper software configuration management
- Clear incremental approach from fundamentals to more advanced application of principles
- Step-by-step instructions with pointers and ideas for self-exploration and a sample repository to illustrate the ideas and guidance in the book
- Based on the authors’ experience training thousands of users around the world
Learning Perforce SCM is a pragmatic how-to guide, explaining the key concepts and usage of Perforce. Based on the authors' experiences training thousands of users around the globe, it explains those key concepts in a clear, incremental manner, combining sound theory with the pragmatic application of principles.
Learning Perforce SCM provides practical knowledge which will transform you into confident and competent Perforce users in your day-to-day operations.
You'll start by learning how to use Perforce to track your day-to-day coding activities. Once a solid foundation is established you'll learn how to apply the data mining features to evaluate current and past activities. Then you'll learn how to configure Perforce so that it adapts to support your specific development needs. All the while you'll be learning how to deal with conflicts and use the tool to communicate with other team members. Finally, you'll learn about using branches and streams to provide seamless support for concurrent development. Along the way, pragmatic hints and tips will help you avoid issues and identify areas for further personal exploration.
What you will learn from this book
- Use Perforce to significantly reduce the overhead of working as part of a team
- Understand your codebase and its evolution over time through powerful reporting options
- Use classic branching and streams effectively
- Manage changelists efficiently
- Get to grips with the P4V GUI
- Use workspace features to solve common challenges with development patterns and environments
- Confidently deal with conflicts
"Learning Perforce SCM" is written in a friendly and practical style with a focus on getting you started with Perforce efficiently and effectively. The book provides plenty of examples and screenshots to guide you through the process of learning.
Who this book is written for
"Learning Perforce SCM" is for anyone who wants to know how to adeptly manage software development activities using Perforce. Experience with other version control tools is a plus but is not required.