RubyMotion iOS Development Essentials
Abhishek Nalwaya, Akshat Paul
Forget the complexity of developing iOS applications with Objective-C; with this hands-on guide you’ll soon be embracing the logic and versatility of RubyMotion. From installation to development to testing, all the essentials are here.
- Get your iOS apps ready faster with RubyMotion
- Use iOS device capabilities such as GPS, camera, multitouch, and many more in your apps
- Learn how to test your apps and launch them on the AppStore
- Use Xcode with RubyMotion and extend your RubyMotion apps with Gems
- Full of practical examples
RubyMotion is a revolutionary toolchain for iOS app development. With RubyMotion, you can quickly develop and test native iOS apps for the iPhone and iPad, combining the expressiveness and simplicity of Ruby with the power of the iOS SDK.
"RubyMotion iOS Development Essentials" is a hands-on guide for developing iOS apps using RubyMotion. With RubyMotion, you can eliminate the complexity and confusion associated with the development of iOS applications using Objective-C.
We’ll begin from scratch. Starting by installing RubyMotion, we’ll build ourselves up to developing an app that uses the various device capabilities iOS has to offer. What’s more, we’ll even learn how to launch your app on the App Store!
We’ll also learn to use iOS SDK classes to create application views. Discover how to use the camera, geolocation, gestures, and other device capabilities to create engaging, interactive apps. We’ll develop stunning user interfaces faster with the XCode interface builder and make web apps by using WebView. We’ll then augment applications with RubyMotion gems, doing more by writing less code and learn how to write test cases for RubyMotion projects. Finally, we’ll understand the app submission process to push your app to Apple’s App Store
With "RubyMotion iOS Development Essentials", we will learn how to create iOS apps with ease. At the end of each chapter we will have a tangible and running app, which utilizes the concepts we have learnt in that chapter.
What you will learn from this book
- Install RubyMotion and get a feel for the toolchain
- Understand the evolution of Rubymotion from Objective-C : compare RubyMotion syntax with the corresponding Objective-C syntax
- Work with the XCode interface builder and design stunning user interfaces with RubyMotion
- Augment applications with gems: Use and create gems for RubyMotion
- Use device capabilities including the camera, geolocation, gestures and address book in your apps
- Show your web apps right from your iPhone window with WebView
- Learn to store data offline with Core Data
- Get your apps ready for the App Store!
This is a step-by-step book that builds on your knowledge by adding to an example app over the course of each chapter. Each topic uses example code that can be compiled and tested to show how things work practically instead of just telling you the theory. Complicated tasks are broken down into easy to follow steps with clear explanations of what each line of code is doing.