Create massive terrains and export them to the most popular game engines
- A comprehensive guide for terrain creation.
- Step-by-step walkthrough of Grome 3.1 and toolset.
- Export terrains to Unity3D, UDK, and Ogre3D.
Grome is an environmental modeling package that makes the creation and editing of large terrain areas an easy task. Grome has the ability to take huge datasets suitable for MMOs and simulations and this marks it as a welcome tool in a developer's toolbox.
"Grome Terrain Modeling with Ogre3D, UDK, and Unity3D" shows you how to get to grips with this powerful terrain construction tool. This book walks you through how to create, edit, and export terrains to Unity3D, UDK, and Ogre3D.
"Grome Terrain Modeling with Ogre3D, UDK, and Unity3D" will guide you in creating new Grome terrain projects, splitting terrain into multiple zones, adding textures and ground features, and exporting your creations into a game engine.
You will be guided through the Grome toolset to create potentially massive procedurally generated fractal landscapes, adding multiple texture layers for different seasonal effects, and adding materials for performance enhancing lighting effects.
You will learn how to export your landscapes to the most common 3D engines; Unity3D (PC and mobile), UDK, and Ogre3D. It's a powerful addition to any production pipeline if your game needs terrain.
What you will learn from this book
- Start a new GROME project
- Learn the caveats and tricks of terrain scale in game engines
- Create heightmaps using procedural functions
- Use masks and layers to combine effects
- Paint textures and map them using simple rules
- Create 3D meshes of heightmaps for mobile games
- Export heightmaps and splat terrain for Unity3D
- Export heightmaps and textures for UDK
- Export Grome scenes for the Ogre3D Graphite engine
This book is a practical guide with examples and clear steps to explain terrain modeling with Grome.
Who this book is written for
If you're a developer or artist looking for a guide to walk you through GROME 3.1, then this book is for you. This book will help you from the first step to exporting a terrain as a workable art asset in a game engine.