An early introduction to the First Law of Thermodynamics establishes a general understanding of energy, mechanisms of energy transfer, the concept of energy balance, thermo-economics, and conversion efficiency.
Over 400 brand new homework problems which further enhance the already extensive and diverse homework problem sets.
Physical intuition to help students develop a sense of the underlying physical mechanisms and a mastery of solving practical problems that an engineer is likely to face in real world.
1 Introduction and Basic Concepts
2. Energy, Energy Transfer, and General Energy Analysis
3. Properties of Pure Substances
4. Energy Analysis of Closed Systems
5. Mass and Energy Analysis of Control Volumes
6. The Second Law of Thermodynamics
8. Exergy: A Measure of Work Potential
9. Gas Power Cycles
10. Vapor and Combined Power Cycles
11. Refrigeration Cycles
12. Thermodynamic Property Relations
13. Gas Mixtures
14. Gas-Vapor Mixtures and Air-Conditioning