Oracle Performance Tuning 101
Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha, Kirtikumar Deshpande, John A. Kostelac
$780CMMI: Guidelines for Process Integration and Product Improvement (Harcover)
Learn to optimize and fine-tune your Oracle systems overall performance
Implement tuning solutions using the proven methodology found inside Oracle Performance Tuning 101 gives you step-by-step practical advice for removing bottlenecks, minimizing downtime, and increasing overall system performance. Youll also get tips for identifying Oracles current bottlenecks, prioritizing and performing tuning operations, writing optimal SQL, interpreting statistics, and much more. Written in a clear and engaging style, this book explains how to manage the tuning efforts of various components of your entire system in a methodical fashion, eliminating all guesswork.
- Understand the key components of a tuning methodology
- Set performance objectives, establish goals, and cease efforts when goals
- Learn how to generate well-written SQL commandsand know how to
recognize poorly written SQL
- Tune and manage various components of the Oracle Instance
- Use meaningful Oracle initialization parameter settings
- Implement proactive management of space in the Oracle database
- Understand I/O tuning with extensive coverage on implementing RAID on
- Get details on operating system tuning for Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and
Every chapter includes one or more myths and folklores about the topic, examples, and an In a Nutshell section--all geared to reinforce the knowledge youve acquired.
Part I: The Method.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Oracle Peformance Management.
Chapter 2: The Method Behind the Madness.
Part II: Application Tuning.
Chapter 3: Application Tuning: Issues that Concern a DBA.
Chapter 4: Application Tuning: Tracking Down Bad SQL.
Part III: Instance and Database Tuning.
Chapter 5: Instance Tuning: The Shared Pool Area.
Chapter 6: Instance Tuning: The Database Buffer Cache.
Chapter 7: Instance Tuning: The Redo Log Buffer & Miscellaneous Tuning.
Chapter 8: Database Tuning.
Part IV: Specialized Tuning.
Chapter 9: Parallel Query Tuning.
Chapter 10: Contention Tuning.
Part V: Environment Tuning.
Chapter 11: I/O Tuning.
Chapter 12: Operating System Tuning.
Chapter 13: Wrapping It Up.
Part VI: Appendixes:
Appendix A: Glossary.
Appendix B: More Tips & Resources.
Appendix C: References.