Practitioner's Handbook for User Interface Design and Development
The complete, practical handbook for effective UI design, development, and usability engineering.
Using extensive practical examples, the Practitioner's Handbook for User Interface Design and Development illuminates today's best practices for user interface design, usability, and user-centered development. Robert J. Torres introduces user interfaces from three points of view: the user, the developer, and the system. Next, he introduces a complete user-centered UI development process, beginning at the highest level and then drilling down to each phase of the lifecycle. For every stage, Torres offers clear principles, specific guidelines, and practical heuristics for self-assessment. Coverage includes:
- Planning, user/task analysis, and user profiling
- Conceptual design, high-level design, and detailed design
- Simulation and prototyping
- Implementation, evaluation, iteration, and deployment
- Risk management in user interface development
- Choosing the optimal tools for building and managing user interfaces
- Understanding the role of managers and project leaders in UI development
Whether you're a developer, project manager, usability specialist, IT manager, software customer, or researcher, Practitioner's Handbook for User Interface Design and Development will be your definitive resource for building great user interfaces.
Table of Contents
2. User-Centered Design Through Delivery.
3. Understanding People.
4. A User-Centered Product Team.
5. Popular UI Styles.
6. Participatory Methods.
7. A Word About Tools.
II. GETTING STARTED.
8. Planning a UI Design and Development Effort.
10. Users, Their Work Environment, and Tasks.
11. Conceptual Design and Architecture.
12. Principles, Guidelines, and Style Guides.
13. Mockups, Simulations, and Prototypes.
14. Usability Evaluation.
III. GETTING SERIOUS.
16. High Level Design.
17. Specification Techniques.
18. Low-Level Design.
19. Product Construction, Test, and Deployment.
IV. WRAPPING UP.
20. Looking Back and Beyond.