Core Web Application Development with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
The programmers guide to building robust web applications with PHP and MySQL
This is a comprehensive, practical guide for programmers who want to develop production-quality, database-enabled web applications with PHP and MySQL. Long-time developer Marc Wandschneider systematically addresses the entire process: not only coding, but also upfront application, user interface and database design, PLUS security, testing, and more.
Youll walk through building three applications from start to finish: a calendaring system, a weblog engine, and an e-commerce store. Along the way, youll master essential strategies for creating robust web database applications and learn how to avoid the common pitfalls that trip up many developers moving to PHP and MySQL.
- Starts with a complete primer on PHP for developersincluding coverage of code organization, reuse, and object-oriented PHP
- Contains detailed treatments of data access, including transactions, foreign keys, and indexes
- Presents powerful data validation techniques utilizing PHP regular expressions
- Walks through planning web applications, including user interfaces and user management
- Offers systematic guidance on securing web applications from end to end
- Covers a wide range of implementation issuesincluding internationalization, error handling, data validation, debugging, session management, and deployment
- Includes detailed chapters on XML, XML-based web services, and the PEAR framework for reusable PHP components
- Shows how to work with the Oracle and PostgreSQL databases
Table of Contents:
I. THE BASICS OF PHP.
1. Getting Started with PHP.
2. The PHP Language.
3. Code Organization and Reuse.
4. Object-Oriented Programming.
5. Working with Arrays.
6. Strings and Characters of the World.
7. Interacting with the Server: Forms.
II. DATABASE BASICS.
8. Introduction to Databases.
9. Designing and Creating Your Database.
10. Using Databases: Storing and Retrieving Data.
11. Using Databases: Advanced Data Access.
12. PHP and Data Access.
III. PLANNING WEB APPLICATIONS.
13. Web Applications and the Internet.
14. Implementing a User Interface.
15. User Management.
16. Securing Your Web Applications: Planning and Code Security.
17. Securing Your Web Applications: Software and Hardware Security.
IV. IMPLEMENTING YOUR WEB APPLICATION.
18. Error Handling and Debugging.
19. Cookies and Sessions.
20. User Authentication.
21. Advanced Output and Output Buffering.
22. Data Validation with Regular Expressions.
23. XML and XHTML.
24. Files and Directories.
25. File Uploading.
26. Working with Dates and Times.
27. XML Web Services and SOAP.
28. Using PEAR.
29. Development and Deployment.
V. SAMPLE PROJECTS AND FURTHER IDEAS.
30. Strategies for Successful Web Applications.
31. An Appointment Manager.
32. A Blogging Engine.
33. An Ecommerce Application.
Appendix A. Installation/Configuration.
Appendix B. Database Function Equivalents.
Appendix C. Recommended Reading.