Python for Programmers: with Big Data and Artificial Intelligence Case Studies
Paul J. Deitel , Harvey Deitel
Written for programmers with a background in another high-level language, this book uses hands-on instruction to teach today’s most compelling, leading-edge computing technologies and programming in Python–one of the world’s most popular and fastest-growing languages. Please read the Table of Contents diagram inside the front cover and the Preface for more details.
In the context of 500+, real-world examples ranging from individual snippets to 40 large scripts and full implementation case studies, you’ll use the interactive IPython interpreter with code in Jupyter Notebooks to quickly master the latest Python coding idioms. After covering Python Chapters 1—5 and a few key parts of Chapters 6—7, you’ll be able to handle significant portions of the hands-on introductory AI case studies in Chapters 11—16, which are loaded with cool, powerful, contemporary examples. These include natural language processing, data mining Twitter for sentiment analysis, cognitive computing with IBM Watson™, supervised machine learning with classification and regression, unsupervised machine learning with clustering, computer vision through deep learning and convolutional neural networks, deep learning with recurrent neural networks, big data with Hadoop, Spark™ and NoSQL databases, the Internet of Things and more. You’ll also work directly or indirectly with cloud-based services, including Twitter, Google Translate™, IBM Watson, Microsoft Azure, OpenMapQuest, PubNub and more.
- 500+ hands-on, real-world, live-code examples from snippets to case studies
- IPython + code in Jupyter Notebooks
- Library-focused: Uses Python Standard Library and data science libraries to accomplish significant tasks with minimal code
- Rich Python coverage: Control statements, functions, strings, files, JSON serialization, CSV, exceptions
- Procedural, functional-style and object-oriented programming
- Collections: Lists, tuples, dictionaries, sets, NumPy arrays, pandas Series & DataFrames
- Static, dynamic and interactive visualizations
- Data experiences with real-world datasets and data sources
- Intro to Data Science sections: AI, basic stats, simulation, animation, random variables, data wrangling, regression
- AI, big data and cloud data science case studies: NLP, data mining Twitter, IBM Watson™, machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, Hadoop, Spark™, NoSQL, IoT
- Open-source libraries: NumPy, pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Folium, SciPy, NLTK, TextBlob, spaCy, Textatistic, Tweepy, scikit-learn, Keras and more.
Register your product for convenient access to downloads, updates, and/or corrections as they become available.
Paul Deitel, CEO and Chief Technical Officer of Deitel & Associates, Inc., is a graduate of MIT, where he studied Information Technology. Through Deitel & Associates, Inc., he has delivered hundreds of programming courses worldwide to clients, including Cisco, IBM, Siemens, Sun Microsystems, Dell, Fidelity, NASA at the Kennedy Space Center, the National Severe Storm Laboratory, White Sands Missile Range, Rogue Wave Software, Boeing, SunGard Higher Education, Nortel Networks, Puma, iRobot, Invensys and many more. He and his co-author, Dr. Harvey M. Deitel, are the world’s best-selling programming-language textbook/professional book/video authors.
Dr. Harvey Deitel, Chairman and Chief Strategy Officer of Deitel & Associates, Inc., has over 50 years of experience in the computer field. Dr. Deitel earned B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering from MIT and a Ph.D. in Mathematics from Boston University. He has extensive college teaching experience, including earning tenure and serving as the Chairman of the Computer Science Department at Boston College before founding Deitel & Associates, Inc., in 1991 with his son, Paul. The Deitels’ publications have earned international recognition, with translations published in Japanese, German, Russian, Spanish, French, Polish, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Greek, Urdu and Turkish. Dr. Deitel has delivered hundreds of programming courses to corporate, academic, government and military clients.