The Intelligent Wireless Web
H. Peter Alesso, Craig F. Smith
- 出版商: Addison-Wesley Professional
- 出版日期: 2001-12-04
- 售價: $299
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 384
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0201730634
- ISBN-13: 9780201730630
"If you buy one book on the intelligent Internet, this should be it."—Minerva Tantoco-Hobbs, Director of Advanced Technology & Media Lab, Answerthink
"This book runs guns to the revolutionaries, detailing all the technologies, all the candidate protocols, and all the challenges to be met along the way to build the intelligent wireless Web."—Michael Swaine, Editor-at-Large, Dr. Dobb's Journal
Written by two authors at the forefront of the Internet revolution, The Intelligent Wireless Web presents a fascinating, insightful vision of the Web's near future, with an overview of the technologies that will make it possible. This book explores technology developments in speech recognition, mobile wireless devices, network integration, and software that will be far more responsive to our informational and transactional needs.
The Intelligent Wireless Web examines the convergence and synergy among five key technological components: speech used as a primary user interface; wireless personal area networks (WPANs); an integrated wired/wireless network infrastructure; supporting wireless protocols; and intelligent applications. It investigates available technologies and standards that are currently being developed to bring these goals into the mainstream of Internet use.
Inside you'll find an introduction to a wide variety of topics, as well as an in-depth look at the fundamental relationships between cutting-edge technologies such as:
- Speech recognition and understanding text-to-speech generators, and Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML)
- Personal Area Networks (PANs), Bluetooth(TM), Jini(TM), and Universal Plug & Play
- Spread Spectrum, wireless networks, and the IEEE 802.11 standard
- Wireless handheld devices and third-generation TDMA and CDMA
- Mobile IP, Wireless Application Protocol (WAP), and Wireless Markup Language (WML)
- Web Services, .NET, J2EE(TM), SOAP, UDDI, WSDL, and XML
- Neural networks, adaptive software, data mining, and agents
- Machine learning and Distributed Artificial Intelligence
- Semantic Web Architecture
Ongoing research projects, such as MIT's Project OXYGEN, are used throughout to illustrate elements of the intelligent wireless Web in action. Appendixes present standards organizations, mobile protocols, security issues, and a case study of knowledge management. With an understanding of the trends, goals, and technologies described in The Intelligent Wireless Web, you will be well-positioned to develop your own strategic planning for the coming world of the ubiquitous Internet.
Table of Contents
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
About the Authors.
I. CONNECTING PEOPLE TO DEVICES.
1. Developing a Framework for the Intelligent Wireless Web.
2. Speech Recognition and Understanding.
II. CONNECTING DEVICES TO DEVICES.
3. Wireless Personal Area Networks.
4. Merging Wired and Wireless Networks.
5. Merging Wireless Devices with the Web.
6. Artificial Intelligence.
7. Merging Artificial Intelligence with the Web.
8. Speech Synthesis and Translation.
9. Technological Revolution.
10. Progress in Developing the Intelligent Wireless Web.
Appendix A. Standards Organizations.
Appendix B. Mobile Protocol.
Appendix C. Graphs and the Web.
Appendix D. Dynamic Languages.
Appendix E. Wireless Security.
Appendix F. Visual Prolog.
Appendix G. Knowledge Management: Case Study of Convera's RetrievalWare.
Appendix H. List of Acronyms.