The Art of ClearCase Deployment : The Secrets to Successful Implementation
Christian Buckley, Darren Pulsipher
- 出版商: Addison-Wesley Professional
- 出版日期: 2004-07-23
- 售價: $1,729
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,643
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 432
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0321262204
- ISBN-13: 9780321262202
貴賓價: $1,235Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, 3/e(精裝本)
"An essential read for any organization using change management. Whether
you are new to ClearCase or an experienced user, this book addresses key points
that will drive you to a successful ClearCase deployment and usage model."
--Adam Levensohn, manager, ClearCase Technical Support, IBM Rational Software
"Buckley and Pulsipher offer the voice of hard-won experience leavened
with significant amounts of humor, which is not exactly what one expects from a
book about configuration management (or any computer science book, for that
matter). The way I see it, a book that offers advice about 'how to reduce build
cycle times for large, multi-site products' in terms of 'eating an elephant, one
bite at a time' is definitely worth reading. Thanks to these guys, I'm the proud
owner of a brand-new VOB, and after I read the detailed advice herein about how
to configure it, it works like a charm!"
--Kendall Scott, author, UML Explained
By using IBM Rational ClearCase, development teams can dramatically improve their productivity and responsiveness throughout the entire software lifecycle. Now, there's an easy-to-use ClearCase deployment guide for every team member: project managers, analysts, developers, and software customers.
Accessible, practical, and full of examples, The Art of ClearCase® Deployment demystifies all facets of deployment--from up-front planning through multisite integration. Authors Christian Buckley and Darren Pulsipher draw on nearly two decades of experience helping leading enterprises implement Rational technologies. They focus on the core issues associated with deployment, closely tying business and technical drivers to specific features and step-by-step implementation techniques.
This book will show you how to:
- Take on the role of change agent: prepare yourself for the challenge
- Understand the value of ClearCase in your organization and gain consensus for implementing it
- Map your software manufacturing process and plan your deployment
- Model change-management: actors, use cases, and problem domains
- Enforce and automate high-efficiency development policies and processes
- Walk through build and release management: frequency, automation, communication, and more
- Integrate ClearCase with existing tools and systems
- Support efficient, error-free development across geographically dispersed teams
- Plan for ClearCase hardware and size your VOB repository
- Iterate your system to improve efficiency and reduce build- and test-cycle times
- Avoid pitfalls and troubleshoot problems with ClearCase deployments
Regardless of your previous software engineering experience, this book will help you shape and execute your ClearCase rollout to drive maximum business value--tomorrow, and for years to come.
Table of Contents:
Foreword by Brian White.
1. The Role of the Change Agent.
2. The Current Software Dilemma.
3. Standards Enforcement using CM Tools.
4. Selling ClearCase into the Rest of Your Organization.
5. Mapping the Manufacturing Process.
6. Ground-Level View of a Product Release.
7. Planning Your ClearCase Deployment.
8. Modeling Your CM System.
9. Using CM to Control Process.
10. Planning for RUP.
11. Build and Release Basics.
12. Understanding Branching and Labeling.
13. Deploying ClearCase.
14. ClearCase Integration Analysis.
15. ClearCase UCM Integration.
16. Lone Eagle Management.
17. Integrating Multi-Site Teams in your Spare Time.
18. Planning Your CM Hardware.
19. The Magical World of VOB Sizing.
20. Constructing Your CM System.
21. Training and Scripting to Control Process.
22. Trigger Happy.
23. Efficiencies in Your CM System.
24. Reducing Build Cycle Times.
25. Drag Coefficient of Test-Cycle Reduction.
26. What to Do When Things Go Wrong: Solving Problems with ClearCase.
27. Bringing It All Together.