3G Marketing: Communities and Strategic Partnerships
Tomi T. Ahonen, Timo Kasper, Sara Melkko
3G and its related modern services opportunity is a new game for mobile operators and presents challenges that the modern marketing staffs at mobile operators are not experienced in. No comprehensive book currently exists on how to market the new mobile services. As 3G networks come on line, and with ever increasing competitive pressures, a comprehensive marketing book focusing on mobile services is needed.
With 3G/UMTS the mobile operators will witness a mature marketplace where modern marketing tools and methods are needed. This is radically different from the second generation of mobile telecoms, when only speed of coverage and speed of connecting customers were keys to success. The operators will be facing more competitors, of more technical rival solutions, under heavy media and financial sector scrutiny, and under ever increasing pressure from owners. The technical platform will provide each competitor with roughly similar opportunities, so success in the market place will depend on optimal utilization of marketing methods. This book discusses all of them and provides proven lessons in which methods work in any given market situation.
- Addresses subject from the viewpoints of network operator, virtual operator, service provider, content provider, and end-user
- Explains how new 3G services will be marketed
- Provides a strong focus on current technologies such as SMS, WAP and GPRS
- Covers the traditional areas of marketing mix with emphasis on areas of significance for mobile services, i.e. brand, bundling, terminals, portals, etc
- Highlights those topics that are poorly utilised or understood by cellular operators today, i.e. segmentation, market intelligence, reachability, churn, etc
Essential reading for mobile operators involved in marketing and product development, content providers engaged in product development, business development and marketing, as well as providing a firm grounding in the area for PR and advertising agencies, media professionals, consultants, bankers
Table of Contents:
About the Authors.
2. Market Intelligence.
4. Service Development and Management.
5. Partnership Management.
11. Service Adoption.
13. Selling Mobile Services.
16. Other Revenue Streams.
17. Combatting Churn.
18. Marketing Plan.
Being Part of the 3G Revolution.