Over-the-Road Wireless For Dummies
E. Phil Haley
- 出版商: For Dummies
- 出版日期: 2006-08-07
- 售價: $887
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $843
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 364
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0471784036
- ISBN-13: 9780471784036
貴賓價: $1,989CCNA Self-Study: Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices (ICND) 640-811, 640-801, 2/e
貴賓價: $798Simulation Modeling and Analysis, 3/e
貴賓價: $1,140Internet & World Wide Web How to Program, 3/e
貴賓價: $1,264Practical Electronics for Inventors, 2/e
貴賓價: $380Artificial Intelligence: A Guide to Intelligent Systems, 2/e (Hardcover)
Do you roam the road making a living, or are you enjoying the nomadic life of a retiree with a motor home? Either way, life goes on no matter where you're hanging your hat tonight. Bills still need to be paid, grandchildren grow up way too fast, and you've gotten pretty dependent on your e-mail. How do you stay connected to the rest of the world while you're on the road?
For a growing number of over-the-road drivers, business travelers, and RV enthusiasts, the answer is a wireless Internet connection. With a laptop and wireless access, you can
- Pay bills, check accounts, and handle banking online
- Send and receive e-mail
- Surf the Web
- Access your home PC
- Make inexpensive phone calls with VoIP
- Watch TV, download movies, and listen to satellite radio
"So," you say, "I see people in movies popping open their laptops and getting online wherever they happen to be. It looks awfully easy—why do I need a book?" Well, lots of things are easy once you know how. Over-the-Road Wireless For Dummies tells you how in plain English, so you can take advantage of all those cool opportunities safely and easily. You'll discover how to
- Choose the best Wi-Fi access service for your needs and locate hotspots
- Assess cellular data services and satellite access to make informed choices about service
- Adapt your laptop or PDA for wireless, set up an external antenna, and install an external amplifier
- Use your cell phone as a modem
- Identify security threats, protect your data with strong passwords and encryption, and set up a personal firewall
- Install and use Skype and make phone calls with your laptop
- Make your truck or RV your office with online freight-finding services, a GPS receiver, a travel printer, and software to keep logs and expense records
- Access streaming TV and radio on the road
With Over-the-Road Wireless For Dummies to help, you can send online birthday cards, watch video of the grandchildren, do your banking, pay bills, keep records, connect to your home PC, and even file your taxes, no matter how far away you roam!
Table of Contents
Part I: The Wonderful World of Wireless Fidelity.
Chapter 1: Taking the Wi-Fi Highway.
Chapter 2: Selecting a Standard.
Chapter 3: Gearing Up.
Chapter 4: Putting Your Gear Together.
Part II: Surfing the Net Unplugged.
Chapter 5: Spotting Hotspots.
Chapter 6: Using Truck– and RV–Friendly Hotspots.
Part III: Bridging the Wireless Gap.
Chapter 7: Cellular Data Services: Can You Connect Me Now?
Chapter 8: Reattaching the Wired Tether.
Chapter 9: Sky-High Wi-Fi.
Part IV: Securing Your Information.
Chapter 10: Taking Common–Sense Steps to Security.
Chapter 11: Encrypting Data.
Chapter 12: Accessing Your Home PC Remotely.
Part V: Taking Care of Business.
Chapter 13: Talking Cheap with VoIP.
Chapter 14: Managing the Over-the-Road Office.
Part VI: Entertaining Electronics.
Chapter 15: Extra-Terrestrial Radio.
Chapter 16: Taking the Show on the Road.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 17: Ten Must–Have Travel Accessories.
Chapter 18: Ten Fantastic Free Applications.