Elementary Cosmology: From Aristotle's universe to the Big Bang and beyond
Kolata, James J.
- 出版商: IOP Publishing Ltd
- 出版日期: 2020-12-11
- 售價: $1,580
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,501
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 154
- 裝訂: Hardcover - also called cloth, retail trade, or trade
- ISBN: 0750336137
- ISBN-13: 9780750336130
The aim of this book is to introduce the most important discoveries in cosmology, and how they altered our perceptions of the origin, size, structure, and evolution of the universe. The book covers a wide range of cosmological topics, including nebulae, cosmic distances, spacetime, the Big Bang, dark matter and dark energy, higher dimensions, string theory, neutron stars and black holes, and gravitational radiation. The text contains many links to websites that clarify and extend the discussion, and which provide a more in-depth understanding of many of the concepts introduced in this book, in particular the mathematics involved. It will provide a fascinating insight to undergraduate students and anyone interested in astronomy and cosmology.
- Presents a history of scientific cosmology from the early Greek philosophers to the present
- Introduces our modern-day understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe
- Provides a non-mathematical treatment suitable for non-science majors
- Up-to-date description of the most current instrumentation and ideas in cosmology