Absolute Beginner's Guide to Cable Internet Connections
Mark Edward Soper
- 出版商: QUE
- 出版日期: 2001-12-21
- 售價: $960
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $912
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 384
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0789727056
- ISBN-13: 9780789727053
At long last, there is a better solution to the painfully slow dial-up modem connection that has been your tether to the Internet. Cable Internet connections that once were expensive luxuries of living in big cities have become commonplace. Cable Internet connections promise to change the way you use the Internet...not to mention changing the Internet itself. No longer will you have to spend hours downloading files or email, tie up your phone line every time you want to check a stock quote or grit your teeth while watching the latest movie trailer trickle in a frame or two at a time on your modem connection.
There is a dark side, however. Unless you take the proper precautions, cable Internet connections open your computer to Internet thugs who would like nothing more than to make off with your credit card numbers and personal files. Fear not...we show you how to rebuke hackers when they come calling.
We also show you what the cable company won't show you - how to hot- rod your connection so that you can squeeze more performance from your broadband Internet service. We also show you how to share a single connection between multiple computers via your home network and how to get your mail - even when you're on the road away from your cable connection. And if you're the get-your-hands-dirty type, we show you how to bypass long waiting lists for professional installation of your service and do it yourself.
We also show you to to maximize the speed afforded to you by your cable connection when playing online games, chatting with your friends and coworkers and using video conferencing.
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Cable Internet Connections is your indispensable companion to the brave new world of home broadband.
- A When hackers are busting through your measly defenses and making off with your credit cards, you don't have time for useless tech support lines or for surfing to Web sites explaining home Internet security - you need answers - and possibly an Advil or two - now!
- A Your new connection is blindingly fast. You've told your dialup ISP to take a hike. Then, it occurs to you - how do I share my cable connection with other computers in the house? We show you just how to do it!
- A Are you a do-it-yourselfer who doesn't trust that the cable installer will know a NIC from a hair dryer? Your concerns might be well-founded. Cable Internet has exploded on the consumer market and many providers know just a smidgen more than you do about installing cable Internet. That is, they did know more. Now that you have this book by your side, you can learn just how to install your own hardware and configure Windows to maximize your new cable connection.
- A Even though your new connection is faster than anything you've seen, it can be faster. We show you how to squeeze every-last-lovin' drop of performance out of your cable connection. "Fasten your seatbelts.
- Have an iMac, G3, or G4? We haven't forgotten about you. We help you discover where to find Mac-specific media players, Internet sharing programs, and other resources that will help you supercharge and troubleshoot your MacOS-flavored Cable Internet connection.
Table of Contents
I. UNDERSTANDING CABLE MODEMS.
<+>1. The Internet and Your PC.
<+>2. What is a Cable Modem?
II. GETTING CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
<+>3. Are You Ready for Cable Modem Service?
<+>4. Ordering and Installing Cable Modem Service.
III. USING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
<+>5. Setting Up Your Software to Use Your Cable Modem.
<+>6. Ten Ways Cable Modems Make the Internet Better.
IV. ENHANCING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
<+>7. Adding Multimedia Features to Your Cable Modem Service.
<+>8. Using Internet Multimedia.
<+>9. Using a Web Camera.
10. Using Photo and Data-Storage Services.
11. Playing Internet Games.
12. Speeding Up Your Cable Modem Service.
V. SECURING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
13. Firewalls and Your PC.
14. Stopping Computer Viruses.
VI. SHARING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
15. Using Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing.
16. Using Other Computer-Based Internet Sharing Programs.
17. Router Your Way to Internet Sharing.
18. Setting Up a Home Network for Sharing Your Internet Connection.
VII. TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR CABLE MODEM.
19. Troubleshooting Your Connection to the Internet.
20. Troubleshooting Internet Sharing.
21. Troubleshooting Internet Multimedia.
22. Keeping Your Cable Modem Service Up-to-Date.