For courses in biotechnology.
Introduction to Biotechnology brings the latest information students need to understand the science and business of biotechnology. The popular text emphasises the future of biotechnology and the biotechnology student’s role in that future with balanced coverage of basic cell and molecular biology, fundamental techniques, historical accounts, new advances, and hands-on applications.
The 4th Edition features content updates in every chapter that reflect the most relevant, up-to-date changes in technology, applications, ethical issues, and regulations. Additionally, every chapter now includes an analytic Case Study that highlights current research and asks students to use what they’ve learned about key chapter concepts to answer questions. New Career Profiles, written by biotech professionals and available on the Companion Website along with additional career resources, highlight potential jobs in the biotech industry. The chapter on biotechnology regulations has been revised to include regulations involving international bodies.
- 1. The Biotechnology Century and Its Workforce
- 2. An Introduction to Genes and Genomes
- 3. Recombinant DNA Technology and Genomics
- 4. Proteins as Products
- 5. Microbial Biotechnology
- 6. Plant Biotechnology
- 7. Animal Biotechnology
- 8. DNA Fingerprinting and Forensic Analysis
- 9. Bioremediation
- 10. Aquatic Biotechnology
- 11. Medical Biotechnology
- 12. International Biotechnology Regulations
- 13. Ethics and Biotechnology
- Appendix I: Answers to Questions
- Appendix II: The 20 Amino Acids of Proteins