Beginning Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server: From Solo Install to Enterprise Integration (Paperback)
Charles Edge, Chris Barker, Ehren Schwiebert, Ken Barker
This book is intended for those who need to get things done with Mac OS X Server 10.6. As such, you can use this book two ways. Those new to Mac OS X Server can read straight through the entire book, and by the end should feel competent to administer any Mac server thrown their way. For those with some knowledge of Mac OS X Server, or perhaps a thorough knowledge of other Unix-based servers, the book is arranged by tasks so that you can either start reading at any point, skipping material you already know, or pick and choose the chapters you’ll find most helpful to your own work or system needs. This task-oriented approach also makes the book useful as a general reference for all aspects of Mac OS X Server.
Throughout the book, special emphasis is given to the new features of the latest release, Mac OS X Server 10.6, aka Snow Leopard Server. For instance, you’ll find out how to integrate an iPhone with Mac OS X Server using the new Mobile Access features, or how to install an SSL certificate in the web service, Apache.
- Task-oriented approach to server administration makes it easy to find and accomplish what needs to get done
- Thorough subject coverage including workflows for Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server GUI-level features, command-line features, and alternatives
- Features introductory material for new administrators, emphasis on new features for upgrading to Snow Leopard Server, and more advanced material for experienced IT and enterprise administrators who want to get the most out of Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server
What you’ll learn
- The key features of Mac OS X Server, including new services such as mobile access for iPhone integration and Address Book Server
- The most efficient approach to suit your working style, including GUI and command-line alternatives
- When to call on third-party products where no Apple products are available
- Integration strategies for a range of network and server configurations
- How to enable each required service and all of their services from start to finish
Who is this book for?
This book is for administrators interested in a complete course on Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server, including first-time Mac OS X Server admins, admins upgrading from older versions, and experienced Unix or Mac admins who want to master all aspects of Apple’s newest Server software.