Learn Swift on the Mac: For OS X and iOS
There's a new language in town. Swift is Apple's new, native, fast, and easy to learn programming language for iOS and OS X app development. It's their "Objective-C without the C". If you are an iOS developer or planning to become one, learning Swift is your #1 priority, and Learn Swift on the Mac tells you everything you need to get up to speed, well, swiftly.
You'll start with the Swift Playground and an introduction to object-oriented programming so you can immediately see Swift in action. You then learn about all of the key language features like functions and closures, classes, methods, extensions, and how Swift works just as well as Objective-C when it comes to easy memory management with ARC.
Finally you'll learn how to use Swift alongside Objective-C as well as with Core Data, and you'll learn how to put all of the pieces together with a health app using Apple's new HealthKit framework.
What youll learn
- Object-oriented basics with Swift and the Swift Playground
- How to use key language features like functions and classes in Swift
- How to mix and match Swift and Objective-C
- How to use RESTful services with Swift
- How to create a complete app with Swift and HealthKit
Who this book is for
Beginning to intermediate iOS and OS X developers who need to learn Swift or migrate to Swift from Objective-C.
Table of Contents
1. Hello Swift
2. The Swift Playground in Xcode 6
3. Accessing Swift’s Compiler and Interpreter: REPL
4. Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
5. Constants, Variables, and Data Types
7. Flow Control
8. Functions and Closures
9. Classes and Structures
11. Access Control
14. Memory Management and ARC
18. Interoperability with Objective-C
19. Mix and Match
20. Working with Core Data
21. Consuming RESTful Services
22. Bringing it All Together