Android Development Tools for Eclipse
Sanjay Shah, Khirulnizam Abd Rahman
By the end of this book you will know how to use Eclipse tools for developing, debugging, and signing Android applications for distribution. Widely adopted by programmers across the world, this is your chance to join them.
- Build Android applications using ADT for Eclipse
- Generate Android application skeleton code using wizards
- Advertise and monetize your applications
The increase in Android’s popularity with every passing day cannot be understated. This has resulted in a large programmer base willing to contribute to its success. Eclipse has a powerful IDE and has been adopted widely by programmers across the globe. The focus of ADT is to use existing familiar territory and ease development of Android applications. In this sense, ADT provides a one stop solution for Android application development.
Android Development Tools for Eclipse is a step-by-step guide that provides you with hands-on, practical, and to the point discussion and steps for using Eclipse tools for developing, debugging, and signing Android applications for distribution. It also teaches you to incorporate advertisements to monetize your applications. Every concept and its usage has been demonstrated in this book by implementing them via real world applications.
Android Development Tools for Eclipse starts with the installation of ADT, and then discusses important tools before guiding you through Android application development from scratch, demonstrating different concepts and implementation before finally helping you distribute your applications in the Android market. You will start the development of your first application, explore project structure, and add different widgets including multimedia ones.
You will learn everything about developing, debugging, testing, distributing, and monetizing your Android application using Eclipse ADT.
What you will learn from this book
- Install ADT and Eclipse
- Learn about important tools in the ADT environment and their usage
- Create a new project, explore its structure, add simple widgets, then compile, debug, and run the application
- Include multimedia elements and handle multiple screens in your application
- Add a menu and use it to invoke the Preference Screen and handle radio and checkbox preferences
- Handle multiple screen types and orientations
- Add an external library and use it by incorporating advertisements (AdMob Library)
- Learn how to prepare your application for release: compiling, key generation, signing, aligning, and distribution
A standard tutorial aimed at developing Android applications in a practical manner.
Who this book is written for
Android Development Tools for Eclipse is aimed at beginners and existing developers who want to learn more about Android development. It is assumed that you have experience in Java programming and that you have used IDE for development.