SQL Server 2014 Development Essentials
Basit A. Masood-Al-Farooq
About This Book
- Discover SQL Server 2014's new in-memory OLTP engine and performance-related improvements
- Explore the fundamentals of database planning and the Server Transact-SQL language syntax
- Gain hands-on experience with the use of scalar and table-valued functions, branching, and more advanced data structures
Who This Book Is For
If you are a database developer, architect, or administrator who wants to learn how to design, implement, and deliver a successful database solution with SQL Server 2014, then this book is for you. Existing users of Microsoft SQL Server will also benefit from this book as they will learn what's new in the latest version.
What You Will Learn
- Get introduced to SQL Server 2014's new in-memory database engine
- Understand SQL Server database architecture and relational database design
- Use joins, subqueries, CTEs, and windowing functions to write advanced Transact-SQL queries
- Learn about tools that let you monitor SQL Server database performance
- Identify and troubleshoot blocks or deadlocks that might slow down a system
- Design, create, and manage advanced database objects that include scalar and table-valued functions, views, stored procedures, and triggers
- Use SQL Server 2014's structured error handling blocks to handle errors that occur in the Transact-SQL batches and programmable objects
SQL Server 2014 Development Essentials is an easy-to-follow yet comprehensive guide that is full of hands-on examples. With Microsoft SQL Server 2014, you can design, build, and deploy mission-critical database applications. The variety of new in-memory features enable you to design high performance database applications that can improve the performance of your applications, making them as much as ten times more efficient in some cases.
Whether you are thinking about becoming a database developer, architect, or administrator, or you are a seasoned database expert, this book will provide you with all the skills you need to successfully create, design, and deploy databases using SQL Server 2014. You will also learn how to add, modify, and delete data stored within a database. You will use Transact-SQL statements to create and manage advanced database objects that include scalar and table-valued functions, views, stored procedures, and triggers. Finally, you will learn about how SQL Server works, how indexes and statistics improve query performance, and the new SQL Server 2014 in-memory technologies.