Your complete guide to making the switch to Ubuntu
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Focuses on making new users feel comfortable switching to Ubuntu
- Discover the top applications and features
- Learn everything you need to know to install, configure, and get started with using the Ubuntu desktop
Ubuntu is widely considered the worlds' most popular Linux distribution. Focusing on simplicity and ease of use, it provides an intuitive desktop environment suitable even for the novice user. Built by a worldwide team of developers, Ubuntu provides a welcoming approach to software.
"Instant Ubuntu" will guide you through the steps required to begin using the Ubuntu Linux distribution on your desktop or laptop. This book provides a guided tour of the installation, followed by an overview of the desktop environment, and an introduction to all of the top applications.
Starting out with detailed instructions on the installation, this book will walk you step-by-step through the basics of getting started. Once you're up and running, you'll be given a full tour of the Ubuntu Dash and Launcher, followed by an outline of the top applications and features.
What you will learn from this book
- Download and burn the free Ubuntu installer DVD
- Connect with friends and family online using popular social media platforms, email, and chat
- Use the Ubuntu Software Center and install new applications
- Explore the included multimedia applications, and play music and watch videos
- Set up automatic backups stored securely in the Ubuntu One cloud
- Be productive at work or school with the LibreOffice productivity suite
- Install up-to-date drivers to support cutting edge video and network hardware
- Join a worldwide community of open source enthusiasts
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. This title is a step-by-step guide to installing and using Ubuntu easily and quickly.
Who this book is written for
If you are interested in exploring what Ubuntu Linux has to offer, this is the book for you."Instant Ubuntu" is written from the standpoint of a beginner. All you need to get started with this book is a very basic understanding of computing, such as the ability to burn a DVD and navigate the Internet.