Instant Node Package Module
Create your own node modules and publish them on npm registry, automating repetitive tasks in between
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Create and distribute node modules
- Learn how to publish executables
- Automate the installation of dependencies
Node.js is the new buzz in town and has a vibrant community.It ships with npm, which is a tool that helps automate various development, deployment, and installation of node modules, and makes the process much easier.
Instant Node Package Module is a practical guide to authoring and distributing node modules, and also for creating and managing private, standalone node.js projects.
Starting with getting node.js installed and running on a variety of platforms, we then proceed to learn about code modularization and achieving it in node.js. Picking up a practical example, we will then explore the whole process and life cycle of conceiving, writing, and publishing a node module. We will also learn how to exploit a toolsincluded with npm to automate various development and deployment steps.
Later on, we will discover the power of npm and how its different features and configurations can save large amounts of time by providing a helping hand for automating repetitive tasks between writing and publishing your modules.
What you will learn from this book
- Install node.js and npm
- Modularize code in different files and folders
- Create a working node module
- Publish your node module on the npm registry
- Create node executables and put them in the system's path
- Bootstrap two modules together so that both can keep abreast with one another
- Lock down dependencies to avoid surprises
- Configure the local npm installation to provide some of your own convenient defaults
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. A practical exploration of the lifecycle of creating node modules as well as learning all of the top features that npm has to offer.
Who this book is written for