Learning LEGO Mindstorms EV3
Build and create interactive, sensor-based robots using your LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 kit
About This Book
- Optimize the use of multiple sensors to build a robot that navigates and interacts with its environment
- Work with both the Home Edition and the Educational Edition of the LEGO EV3 Mindstorms kit
- A practical guide with step-by-step building instructions to help you create your very own robot
Who This Book Is For
This book is for the hobbyists, builders, and programmers who want to build and control their very own robots beyond the capabilities provided with the LEGO EV3 kit. You will need the LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 kit for this book. The book is compatible with both the Home Edition and the Educational Edition of the kit. You should already have a rudimentary knowledge of general programming concepts and will need to have gone through the basic introductory material provided by the official LEGO EV3 tutorials.
What You Will Learn
- Design a robot for optimum navigation and place sensors for optimal calibration
- Control multiple robots through a master robot
- Decipher the advanced programs developed by LEGO
- Account for weight and balance issues in your design
- Calibrate the sensors using buttons on the robot
- Utilize core programming concepts such as loops, case structures, calculations, variables, and arrays
- Enhance your programs with proportional and PID control
The LEGO EV3 is a programmable LEGO brick that can control different motors and take input from buttons and numerous sensors, allowing you to build sophisticated robots from a simple children's system of modular bricks. You can build your very own robot using your EV3 kit, but there is a lack of good documentation in regards to the details of robot building!
This book is a practical guide that will show you how to advance beyond the basic lessons included in your EV3 kit, combine core programming commands, and implement tested design principles when building your own robot. You will become familiar with resources beyond your EV3 kit and enhance your robot designs.