F# High Performance
- Explore the advanced concurrency support in F# and .NET TPL
- Covers major optimization techniques in F# to improve the performance of applications
- Use Struct, Class and Record model, Interop with C# and VB without sacrificing performance.
F# is a functional programming language and is used in enterprise applications that demand high performance. It has its own unique trait: it is a functional programming language and has OOP support at the same time.
This book will help you make F# applications run faster with examples you can easily break down and take into your own work. You will be able to assess the performance of the program and identify bottlenecks.
Beginning with a gentle overview of concurrency features in F#, you will get to know the advanced topics of concurrency optimizations in F#, such as F# message passing agent of MailboxProcessor and further interoperation with .NET TPL. Based on this knowledge, you will be able to enhance the performance optimizations when implementing and using other F# language features.
The book also covers optimization techniques by using F# best practices and F# libraries. You will learn how the concepts of concurrency and parallel programming will help in improving the performance. With this, you would be able to take advantage of multi-core processors and track memory leaks, root causes, and CPU issues.
Finally, you will be able to test their applications to achieve scalability.
What you will learn
- Understand how the execution of functions in F# works
- Identify common performance bottlenecks
- Implement best practices to optimize performance
- Use the available tooling to help measure performance
- Combine the best practice of asynchronous and synchronous
- Optimize further using various F# language constructs
About the Author
Eriawan Kusumawardhono is a veteran senior software development engineer (SDE) who has software development experience of more than 13 years, with 11 years of having developed in .NET, since the introduction of Visual Studio 2003. On usual working day he works at Allegro Development, a software development company, and in his spare time, he does speaking and training for software development and programming language communities in Indonesia. He is also a member of F# Foundation speaker program. He enjoys being a full-time technical polyglot software developer, mingling both OOP and functional programming at the same time.
He currently holds a Microsoft MVP award in Visual Studio development platform competency, from 2011 to 2017, for more than 5 consecutive years.
He lives in Jakarta with his wife, enjoying reading and cooking heterogeneous exotic food in Indonesia.
Table of Contents
- Performing Common Optimizations in F#
- Performance Measurement
- Optimizing Data Structures
- Introduction to Concurrency in F#
- Advanced Concurrency Support in F#
- Optimizing Type Provider
- Language Features and Constructs Optimization
- Optimizing Computation Expressions