Git Essentials - Second Edition
Dive and explore into the latest addons of the latest Git.
About This Book
- Master all the basic concepts of Git to protect your code and make it easier to evolve
- Use Git proficiently, and learn how to resolve day-by-day challenges easily
- This step-by-step guide is packed with examples to help you learn and work with Git's internals
Who This Book Is For
If you are a software developer with little or no experience of versioning systems, or you are familiar with other centralized versioning systems, then this book is for you.
If you have experience in server and system management and need to broaden your use of Git from a DevOps perspective, this book contains everything you need.
What You Will Learn
- Master Git fundamentals
- Be able to "visualize," even with the help of a valid GUI tool
- Write principal commands in a shell
- Figure out the right strategy to run change your daily work with few or no annoyances
- Explore the tools used to migrate to Git from the Subversion versioning system without losing your development history
- Plan new projects and repositories with ease, using online services, or local network resources
Since its inception, Git has attracted skilled developers due to its robust, powerful, and reliable features. Its incredibly fast branching ability transformed a piece of code from a niche tool for Linux Kernel developers into a mainstream distributed versioning system. Like most powerful tools, Git can be hard to approach since it has a lot of commands, subcommands, and options that easily confuse newcomers.