Containers in OpenStack: Leverage OpenStack services to make the most of Docker, Kubernetes and Mesos
Pradeep Kumar Singh, Madhuri Kumari
A practical book which will help the readers understand how the container ecosystem and OpenStack work together.
- Gets you acquainted with containerization in private cloud
- Learn to effectively manage and secure your containers in OpenStack
- Practical use cases on container deployment and management using OpenStack components
Containers are one of the most talked about technologies of recent times. They have become increasingly popular as they are changing the way we develop, deploy, and run software applications. OpenStack gets tremendous traction as it is used by many organizations across the globe and as containers gain in popularity and become complex, it’s necessary for OpenStack to provide various infrastructure resources for containers, such as compute, network, and storage.
Containers in OpenStack answers the question, how can OpenStack keep ahead of the increasing challenges of container technology? You will start by getting familiar with container and OpenStack basics, so that you understand how the container ecosystem and OpenStack work together. To understand networking, managing application services and deployment tools, the book has dedicated chapters for different OpenStack projects: Magnum, Zun, Kuryr, Murano, and Kolla.
Towards the end, you will be introduced to some best practices to secure your containers and COE on OpenStack, with an overview of using each OpenStack projects for different use cases.
What you will learn
- Understand the role of containers in the OpenStack ecosystem
- Learn about containers and different types of container runtimes tools.
- Understand containerization in OpenStack with respect to the deployment framework, platform services, application deployment, and security
- Get skilled in using OpenStack to run your applications inside containers
- Explore the best practices of using containers in OpenStack.
Who This Book Is For
This book is targeted towards cloud engineers, system administrators, or anyone from the production team who works on OpenStack cloud. This book act as an end to end guide for anyone who wants to start using the concept of containerization on private cloud. Some basic knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes will help.
Table of Contents
- Working with Containers
- Working with Container Orchestration Engines (COE)
- OpenStack Architecture
- Containerization in OpenStack
- Magnum – COE Management in OpenStack
- Zun – Container Management in OpenStack
- Kuryr – Container Plugin for OpenStack Networking
- Murano, Containerized Application Deployment on OpenStack
- Kolla, Containerized Deployment of OpenStack
- Best Practices for Containers and OpenStack