Mastering High Performance with Kotlin: Understanding how to use Kotlin features with minimal overhead
Find out how to write Kotlin code without overhead and how to use different profiling tools and bytecode viewer to inspect expressions of Kotlin language.
- Apply modern Kotlin features to speed up processing and implement highly efficient and reliable codes.
- Learn memory optimization, concurrency, multi-threading, scaling, and caching techniques to achieve high performance.
- Learn how to prevent unnecessary overhead and use profiling tools to detect performance issues.
The ease with which we write applications has been increasing, but with it comes the need to address their performance. A balancing act between easily implementing complex applications and keeping their performance optimal is a present-day requirement In this book, we explore how to achieve this crucial balance, while developing and deploying applications with Kotlin.
The book starts by analyzing various Kotlin specifcations to identify those that have a potentially adverse effect on performance. Then, we move on to monitor techniques that enable us to identify performance bottlenecks and optimize performance metrics. Next, we look at techniques that help to us achieve high performance: memory optimization, concurrency, multi threading, scaling, and caching. We also look at fault tolerance solutions and the importance of logging. We'll also cover best practices of Kotlin programming that will help you to improve the quality of your code base.
By the end of the book, you will have gained some insight into various techniques and solutions that will help to create high-performance applications in the Kotlin environment
What you will learn
- Understand the importance of high performance
- Learn performance metrics
- Learn popular design patterns currently being used in Kotlin
- Understand how to apply modern Kotlin features to data processing
- Learn how to use profling tools
- Discover how to read bytecode
- Learn to perform memory optimizations
- Uncover approaches to the multithreading environment
Who This Book Is For
This book is for Kotlin developers who would like to build reliable and high-performance applications. Prior Kotlin programming knowledge is assumed.
Table of Contents
- Identifying performance bottlenecks
- Identifying indicators of performance issues
- Learning how to use profiling tools
- Preventing unnecessary overhead using functional approach
- Enhancing performance of collections
- Optimizing access to fields
- Preventing unnecessary overhead using Delegated Properties
- Working with Ranges and Identifying performance issues
- Multithreading and Reactive programming
- Best practices