Mastering AWS CloudFormation: Plan, develop, and deploy your cloud infrastructure effectively using AWS CloudFormation
Build scalable and production-ready infrastructure in Amazon Web Services with CloudFormation
- Leverage AWS CloudFormation templates to manage your entire infrastructure
- Get up and running with writing your infrastructure as code and automating your environment
- Simplify infrastructure management and increase productivity with AWS CloudFormation
DevOps and the cloud revolution have forced software engineers and operations teams to rethink how to manage infrastructures. With this AWS book, you'll understand how you can use Infrastructure as Code (IaC) to simplify IT operations and manage the modern cloud infrastructure effectively with AWS CloudFormation.
This comprehensive guide will help you explore AWS CloudFormation from template structures through to developing complex and reusable infrastructure stacks. You'll then delve into validating templates, deploying stacks, and handling deployment failures. The book will also show you how to leverage AWS CodeBuild and CodePipeline to automate resource delivery and apply continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) practices to the stack. As you advance, you'll learn how to generate templates on the fly using macros and create resources outside AWS with custom resources. Finally, you'll improve the way you manage the modern cloud in AWS by extending CloudFormation using AWS serverless application model (SAM) and AWS cloud development kit (CDK).
By the end of this book, you'll have mastered all the major AWS CloudFormation concepts and be able to simplify infrastructure management.
What you will learn
- Understand modern approaches to IaC
- Develop universal and reusable CloudFormation templates
- Discover ways to apply continuous delivery with CloudFormation
- Implement IaC best practices for the AWS Cloud
- Provision massive applications across multiple regions and accounts
- Automate template generation and software provisioning for AWS
- Extend CloudFormation with custom resources and template macros
Who this book is for
If you are a developer who wants to learn how to write templates, a DevOps engineer interested in deployment and orchestration, or a solutions architect looking to understand the benefits of managing infrastructure with ease, this book is for you. Prior understanding of the AWS Cloud is necessary.
Karen Tovmasyan started his career journey when he was still a student at university. His first job - at one of Renault's factories in Russia - welcomed him and he spent his first year there in IT support, later joining the TechProjects team and having his first servers to manage, which was his first big migration project. A few years later, he joined a SaaS company as a DevOps engineer and in 2016, he moved to the Netherlands. He holds three AWS certifications and is an active member of the Russian-speaking AWS community, helping its members to embrace cloud adoption and make the most of AWS. He gives public talks at conferences and writes content for two personal blogs, on Medium and Telegram.
- CloudFormation Refresher
- Advanced Template Development
- Validation, Linting, and Deployment of the Stack
- Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Deploying to Multiple Regions and Accounts Using StackSets
- Configuration Management of the EC2 Instances Using cfn-init
- Creating Resources outside AWS Using Custom Resources
- Dynamically Rendering the Template Using Template Macros
- Generating CloudFormation Templates Using AWS CDK
- Deploying Serverless Applications Using AWS SAM
- What's Next?