Learning Android Forensics: Analyze Android devices with the latest forensic tools and techniques, 2/e (Paperback)
Oleg Skulkin, Donnie Tindall, Rohit Tamma
A comprehensive guide to Android forensics, from setting up the workstation to analyzing key artifacts
- Get up and running with modern mobile forensic strategies and techniques
- Analyze the most popular Android applications using free and open source forensic tools
- Learn malware detection and analysis techniques to investigate mobile cybersecurity incidents
Many forensic examiners rely on commercial, push-button tools to retrieve and analyze data, even though there is no tool that does either of these jobs perfectly.
Learning Android Forensics will introduce you to the most up-to-date Android platform and its architecture, and provide a high-level overview of what Android forensics entails. You will understand how data is stored on Android devices and how to set up a digital forensic examination environment. As you make your way through the chapters, you will work through various physical and logical techniques to extract data from devices in order to obtain forensic evidence. You will also learn how to recover deleted data and forensically analyze application data with the help of various open source and commercial tools. In the concluding chapters, you will explore malware analysis so that you'll be able to investigate cybersecurity incidents involving Android malware.
By the end of this book, you will have a complete understanding of the Android forensic process, you will have explored open source and commercial forensic tools, and will have basic skills of Android malware identification and analysis.
What you will learn
- Understand Android OS and architecture
- Set up a forensics environment for Android analysis
- Perform logical and physical data extractions
- Learn to recover deleted data
- Explore how to analyze application data
- Identify malware on Android devices
- Analyze Android malware
Who this book is for
If you are a forensic analyst or an information security professional wanting to develop your knowledge of Android forensics, then this is the book for you. Some basic knowledge of the Android mobile platform is expected.
Table of Contents
- Introducing Android Forensics
- Setting up Android Forensic Environment
- Understanding Data Storage on Android Devices
- Extracting Data Logically from Android Devices
- Extracting Data Physically from Android Devices
- Recovering Deleted Data from an Android Device
- Forensic Analysis of Android Applications
- Android Forensic Tools Overview
- Identifying Android malware
- Reverse engineering Android malware