Selenium Fundamentals: Speed up your internal testing by automating user interaction with browsers and web applications
Discover how to use Selenium to efficiently test your own applications.
- Understand the importance of automation with real-world examples
- Explore each and every path from configuring an environment to automation with Selenium Grid
- Master the core concepts of Selenium with 40 exercises and 20 activities
There are several challenges while writing automated tests for web applications: you have to select an adequate test framework, use appropriate selectors to avoid flaky tests, and build a good testing framework. Selenium Fundamentals helps you tackle these challenges and provides you with the knowledge to overcome hurdles in testing by developing stable and effective testing solutions. You'll learn the complete process of automated testing, such as configuring your environment, creating and running automated tests, analyzing reports, and troubleshooting errors by using a Selenium Grid.
To start with, you'll understand the importance of automating tests. You'll then move on to understanding how to choose the best selectors for navigating through your web applications while highlighting best practices and techniques.
After writing your first tests, you'll cover the object model to create your own advanced test cases. You'll analyze a test report, track timing errors, and separate real issues from flaky tests. In addition to this, you'll learn how to configure and connect to a local grid, a network grid, and a third-party service.
By the end of the book, you will have the skills you need to run automated tests on your own web applications.
What you will learn
- Get an overview of Selenium
- Identify what to automate in a project and configure the environment
- Control browser behavior and manipulate web page elements
- Understand the nuances of writing tests and creating test suites
- Create UI tests with Selenium WebDriver and analyze test results
- Troubleshoot errors in automation and build meaningful reporting
Who this book is for
Selenium Fundamentals is designed for you if you are a software quality assurance and development professional who wants to learn how to automate browser activity and web-based user interface tests with Selenium.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- WebDriver Functionality
- WebElement Functionality
- Advanced Element Location
- Waiting for Elements
- Page Object Model
- Writing Tests
- Analysis and Troubleshooting
- Using a Selenium Grid