This versatile book is a great work companion if you're a SQL Server database professional who wants to exploit the potential of PowerShell. Dip into the recipes or treat it like a training course - the choice is yours.
- Provides over a hundred practical recipes that utilize PowerShell to automate, integrate and simplify SQL Server tasks
- Offers easy to follow, step-by-step guide to getting the most out of SQL Server and PowerShell
- Covers numerous guidelines, tips, and explanations on how and when to use PowerShell cmdlets, WMI, SMO, .NET classes or other components
- Builds a strong foundation that gets you comfortable using PowerShell with SQL Server--empowering you to create more complex scripts that you need in your day-to-day job
PowerShell is Microsoft's new command-line shell and scripting language that promises to simplify automation and integration across different Microsoft applications and components. Database professionals can leverage PowerShell by utilizing its numerous built-in cmdlets, or using any of the readily available .NET classes, to automate database tasks, simplify integration, or just discover new ways to accomplish the job at hand.
"SQL Server 2012 with PowerShell V3 Cookbook" provides easy-to-follow, practical examples for the busy database professional. Whether you're auditing your servers, or exporting data, or deploying reports, there is a recipe that you can use right away!
You start off with basic topics to get you going with SQL Server and PowerShell scripts and progress into more advanced topics to help you manage and administer your SQL Server databases.
The first few chapters demonstrate how to work with SQL Server settings and objects, including exploring objects, creating databases, configuring server settings, and performing inventories. The book then deep dives into more administration topics like backup and restore, credentials, policies, jobs, snapshots, publications, and subscriptions.
Additional development and BI-specific topics are also explored, including deploying and downloading assemblies, BLOB data, SSIS packages, and SSRS reports.
A short PowerShell primer is also provided as a supplement in the Appendix, which the database professional can use as a refresher or occasional reference material. Packed with more than 100 practical, ready-to-use scripts, "SQL Server 2012 with PowerShell V3 Cookbook" will be your go-to reference in automating and managing SQL Server.
What you will learn from this book
- Create an inventory of database properties and server configuration settings
- Backup and restore databases
- Execute queries to multiple servers
- Maintain permissions and security for users
- Import and export XML into SQL Server
- Extract CLR assemblies and BLOB objects from the database
- Explore database objects
- Manage and deploy SSIS packages and SSRS reports
- Manage and monitor running SQL Server services and accounts
- Parse and display the contents of trace files
- Create SQL Server jobs, alerts and operators
- Find blocking processes that are hampering your database performance