Mastering Windows 8 C++ App Development
A practical guide to developing Windows Store apps with C++ and XAML
- Details the most important features of C++, XAML, and WinRT for building fantastic Windows Store apps
- Full of detailed and engaging code samples that can be used as a basis for your own projects
- Provides a clear overview of Windows Runtime and C++/CX
Windows 8 provides an unprecedented opportunity for developers to create applications for a new and exciting platform, for an entirely new market. Leveraging modern C++ and the new Windows Runtime, this book guides you through the many facets of WinRT whilst using modern C++ features for ultimate power and performance.
"Mastering Windows 8 C++ App Development" shows you how to create Windows Store apps that use many of the new features and functionality available for Windows 8. You'll discover how you can harness the power of the new Windows Runtime with C++ combined with XAML for the creation of fantastic user experiences.
Starting with coverage of C++/CX (a set of extensions that make working with WinRT easier) and user interface design with XAML, this book shows you how to use major Windows 8 features, including Live Tiles and Contracts, while leveraging common patterns such as data binding and the Model View ViewModel (MVVM). You'll discover how WinRT works, its various capabilities, and how it can best be leveraged using C++11 and Visual Studio 2012.
What you will learn from this book
- Leverage your existing C++ skills with this new and exciting platform
- Discover how to effectively use C++/CX to call Windows Runtime APIs
- Integrate XAML for fast and fluid user interfaces
- Create custom controls for special UI scenarios
- Learn how to integrate your application with Windows 8 by implementing contracts
- Build data-driven apps with XAML, data binding, and MVVM
Specifically designed to be an engaging and practical tutorial, Mastering Windows 8 C++ App Development will augment your skills and help you create high quality Windows Store apps.
Who this book is written for
If you are a C++ developer who wants to utilize the combined power of COM, WinRT, C++/CX, and XAML to build Store apps for the new Windows 8 platform, then this book is for you. Prior experience with XAML-based technologies is not required.