Mastering UDK Game Development
John P. Doran
- 出版商: Packt Publishing
- 出版日期: 2013-03-22
- 售價: $1,420
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,349
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 290
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 1849695601
- ISBN-13: 9781849695602
Eight projects specifically designed to help you exploit the Unreal Development Kit to its full potential
- Guides you through advanced projects that help augment your skills with UDK by practical example.
- Comes complete with all the art assets and additional resources that you need to create stunning content.
- Perfect for level designers who want to take their skills to the next level.
UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is the free version of the popular and award-winning Unreal Engine 3. A truly powerful tool for game development, there has never been a better time to use it for both commercial and independent projects. By learning about advanced functionality via engaging practical examples, you too can take your game to the next level and stand out from the crowd.
Learn about advanced aspects of UDK game development, ranging from the creation of a 2D-style platformer to building your very own Western-RPG style inventory system using Scaleform. You'll discover how you can exploit UDK to the fullest extent, making it possible to create a series of exciting projects all within the UDK Editor.
By using this book, you will be able to create a 2D-style platformer, a spaceship rail-shooter, as well your very own custom HUD. We then move on to more advanced projects, like the creation of an inventory system for a Western-RPG, complete with dynamic objects that can be dropped anywhere in the game world. On top of all of this, you'll also learn how to quickly and efficiently create modular environments within UDK itself.
What you will learn from this book
- Create a side scrolling platformer game with collectables and power-ups.
- Build a third-person rail-shooter making use of prefabs, particle systems, skyboxes, and more.
- Design a HUD using Scaleform and the latest ActionScript 3.0 code that you can integrate with any map you've ever created.
- Create realistic environments whilst ensuring performance and minimizing repetitive gameplay.
- Detailed tips and tricks showing you how to create environments and iterate on them quickly using Geometry Mode.
- Discover how you can utilize lighting and the environment to affect a player's behavior.
- Create a dynamic torch that can be picked up, stored in an inventory, equipped (to carry around lighting the way), and dropped anywhere in the game.
- Create a new inventory to accommodate for our torch and other dynamic objects.
Written as a series of engaging and practical projects, this essential guide will help you take your skills to the next level and become a game development hotshot. If you would like to truly unlock the potential of the Unreal Development Kit or are interested in using Scaleform for your own personal projects, then this book is for you.
Who this book is written for
"Mastering UDK Game Development" was designed for people who want to truly take their projects to the next level. Those who are familiar with the basics of creating things in UDK will have an easier time, but each project contains step-by-step explanations, diagrams, screenshots, and downloadable content that should make it possible for someone with no prior experience to learn UDK at an accelerated pace.