Microscale Flow and Heat Transfer: Mathematical Modelling and Flow Physics
Agrawal, Amit, Kushwaha, Hari Mohan, Jadhav, Ravi Sudam
This book covers concepts and the latest developments on microscale flow and heat transfer phenomena involving a gas. The book is organised in two parts: the first part focuses on the fluid flow and heat transfer characteristics of gaseous slip flows. The second part presents modelling of such flows using higher-order continuum transport equations.The Navier-Stokes equations based solution is provided to various problems in the slip regime. Several interesting characteristics of slip flows along with useful empirical correlations are documented in the first part of the book. The examples bring out the failure of the conventional equations to adequately describe various phenomena at the microscale. Thereby the readers are introduced to higher order continuum transport (Burnett and Grad) equations, which can potentially overcome these limitations. A clear and easy to follow step by step derivation of the Burnett and Grad equations (superset of the Navier-Stokes equations) is provided in the second part of the book. Analytical solution of these equations, the latest developments in the field, along with scope for future work in this area are also brought out.
- Presents characteristics of flow in the slip and transition regimes for a clear understanding of microscale flow problems;
- Provides a derivation of Navier-Stokes equations from microscopic viewpoint;
- Features a clear and easy to follow step-by-step approach to derive Burnett and Grad equations;
- Describes a complete compilation of few known exact solutions of the Burnett and Grad equations, along with a discussion of the solution aided with plots;
- Introduces the variants of the Navier-Stokes, Burnett and Grad equations, including the recently proposed Onsager-Burnett and O13 moment equations.
Dr. Amit Agrawal is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076, India.
Dr. Hari Mohan Kushwaha is a Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076, India.
Ravi Sudam Jadhav is a Research Scholar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076, India.