James E. Gaskin
- 出版商: Hungry Minds
- 出版日期: 2004-07-23
- 售價: $999
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $949
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 614
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0764569511
- ISBN-13: 9780764569517
* This book outlines everything people need to make the move from a dial-up connection to an always-on DSL or cable Internet connection that is up to forty times faster than a standard modem connection
* Nielsen estimated there were thirty-nine million U.S. homes with broadband access in April 2003
* Gaskin explains available broadband options, shows how to pick the right one, describes wireless alternatives inside and outside of buildings, details how to connect more than one computer to a home broadband connection, and provides information about securing your wireless network
* This new Desktop Edition format provides need-to-know coverage of all topics related to broadband home networking in an easy-to-use format that will appeal to novices and techies alike
* Offers a useful customer service FAQ and a Web directory appendix that lists Web sites for additional utilities, tools, games, and more
Table of Contents:
Part I: Determining Which Broadband Is Right for You.
Chapter 1: Why You Need Broadband Internet Access.
Chapter 2: Getting Familiar with Broadband Technology.
Chapter 3: Types of Broadband Providers.
Chapter 4: Types of Alternative Broadband Providers.
Chapter 5: Emerging Broadband Service Options.
Chapter 6: Pros and Cons: Choosing Your Best Broadband Option.
Part II: Practicing Safe Broadband.
Chapter 7: Understanding Computer Security.
Chapter 8: Examining Your Home Broadband Hookup.
Chapter 9: Examining the Multitenant Broadband Hookup.
Part III: Moving from Stand-Alone PCs to a Network.
Chapter 10: Server and Storage Options.
Chapter 11: What You Need to Know About Desktop Networking.
Chapter 12: What You Need to Know About TCP/IP Networks and Routing.
Chapter 13: Backup and Disaster Recovery.
Part IV: Linking Your Network Devices.
Chapter 14: Wired Connection Options.
Chapter 15: Wireless Connection Options.
Chapter 16: Wireless Security in Depth.
Chapter 17: Avoiding Wireless Eavesdropping and Hacking.
Part V: Troubleshooting.
Chapter 18: Troubleshooting Internet Access Problems.
Chapter 19: Troubleshooting Your Side of the Connection.
Appendix A: Quick Hits Roundup.
Appendix B: Additional Web Directory Listings.
Appendix C: Broadband, Internet, and Networking Definitions.