SQL Server Advanced Troubleshooting and Performance Tuning: Best Practices and Techniques
This practical book provides a comprehensive overview of troubleshooting and performance tuning best practices for Microsoft SQL Server. Database engineers, including database developers and administrators, will learn how to identify performance issues, troubleshoot the system in a holistic fashion, and properly prioritize tuning efforts to attain the best system performance possible.
Author Dmitri Korotkevitch, Microsoft Data Platform MVP and Microsoft Certified Master (MCM), explains the interdependencies between SQL Server database components. You'll learn how to quickly diagnose your system and discover the root cause of any issue. Techniques in this book are compatible with all versions of SQL Server and cover both on-premises and cloud-based SQL Server installations.
- Discover how performance issues present themselves in SQL Server
- Learn about SQL Server diagnostic tools, methods, and technologies
- Perform health checks on SQL Server installations
- Learn the dependencies between SQL Server components
- Tune SQL Server to improve performance and reduce bottlenecks
- Detect poorly optimized queries and inefficiencies in query execution plans
- Find inefficient indexes and common database design issues
- Use these techniques with Microsoft Azure SQL databases, Azure SQL Managed Instances, and Amazon RDS for SQL Server
Dmitri Korotkevitch is a Microsoft Data Platform MVP and the Director ofDatabase Services at Chewy.com. He specializes in the design, development, and performance tuning of complex OLTP systems that handle thousands of transactions per second, and has years of experience working with Microsoft SQL Server as an Application and Database Developer, Database Administrator, and Database Architect. Dmitri also provides SQL Server consulting services and training to clients around the world.