VMware Horizon 6 Desktop Virtualization Solutions
Ryan Cartwright, Chuck Mills, Jason Langone, Andre Leibovici
About This Book
- Design a successful solution to deliver Windows desktops and applications as a service
- Provide redundancy for components and design a backup solution and disaster recovery plan to protect your investment and to keep your users productive
- A learn-by-example-based approach that focuses on key concepts to provide the foundation to solve real-world problems
Who This Book Is For
If you are a desktop architect, solution provider, end-user consultant, virtualization engineer, or anyone who wants to learn how to plan and design the implementation of a virtual desktop solution based on Horizon 6, then this book is for you. An understanding of VMware vSphere fundamentals coupled with experience in the installation or administration of a VMware environment would be a plus during reading.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the strategies and techniques needed to migrate your user population from a traditional physical desktop environment to a successful virtual desktop solution
- Plan the approach to deliver, protect, and manage Windows desktops and applications to ensure that users can work anytime, anywhere, on any device
- Decide whether to use persistent or nonpersistent vDesktops and understand the impact of both on the VDI environment
- Understand the choices around end devices such as thick clients, thin clients, and zero clients
- Size the VDI environment correctly to avoid slow logons, poor PCoIP performance, authentication problems, and other random failures
- Analyze all of the potential points of failure within a VDI and provide redundancy for each component
- Design a backup solution and/or disaster recovery plan to ensure a quick recovery in times of failure
VMware Horizon 6 (with View) delivers virtualized desktops and applications through a single platform. It supports users, providing them with access to all of their Windows and online resources through one unified workspace, anywhere, using the device of their choice. The latest VDI release has brought with it various enhancements that will provide a better way to solve the common problems that occur while designing a VDI solution.
This book will guide you through how to produce a solid VDI solution with VMware Horizon 6 View, by combining best practices with actual installation challenges. The book is designed to be used during the design phase, which comes before the implementation phase. It covers all major Horizon 6 components and tips on how to use them to provide a solid VDI solution.