About This Book
- Learn how to build RESTful services with JAX-RS 2.0
- Efficiently use the techniques outlined to build reliable and highly available applications based on REST
- Compare REST API from Twitter, GitHub, Facebook and others in a conversational and easy-to-follow style
Who This Book Is For
This book is aimed at novice developers who want to gain insights into building RESTful services and improve productivity, as well as for advanced developers who want to delve into more complicated topics.
What You Will Learn
- Discover how to build RESTful web services using the JAX-RS 2.0 API
- Understand advanced topics related to OAuth and security with respect to RESTful services
- Learn about caching techniques, validation, rate-limiting, asynchronous operations, and other best practices to improve application responsiveness
- Review best practices for pagination, documentation, and the testing of RESTful services
- Understand HATEOAS as well as the micro services architecture when building applications using RESTful services
- Learn about the future of REST and evolving standards, and cover case studies on how different enterprises use them
- Compare and contrast other technologies such as WebHooks, WebSockets, and Server-Sent Events for delivering real-time data to clients
The convergence of social networking, cloud computing, and the era of mobile applications has created a generation of emerging technologies that allow different networked devices to communicate with each other over the Internet with REST. REST has the benefits of being stateless; easing scalability, visibility, and reliability; and being platform and language agnostic.
This book is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with clear and pragmatic information to take advantage of the real power of RESTful services and gives you a good foundation for using them in your applications. By comparing APIs from platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, GitHub, and PayPal, the book teaches a range of exciting capabilities with RESTful services and explores the infinite possibilities by using the diverse building blocks and tips covered in various chapters.
By the end of the book, you will be able to successfully use the concepts explained to design and implement applications based on best practices for RESTful services.