About This Book
- Create automated robots programmed on the EV3 brick or using Java
- Learn the fundamentals of robotics and create your own impressive mechanical minions
- Work through examples and construct functional robots as you become familiar with the hardware and software of the EV3
Who This Book Is For
If you are a robot enthusiast who wants to quickly get the most out of Lego Mindstorms EV3, this is the book for you. Prior programming experience is useful to get the most out of this book, but not necessary.
What You Will Learn
- Get to grips with the components of Lego EV3
- Calibrate sensors and motors for your robot
- Program essential commands to EV3 on the brick
- Connect EV3 to your computer using USB, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi
- Build several robots that navigate obstacles and follow line paths
- Install LeJOS on EV3 and program EV3 using Java
- Automate code compilation and deployment using Gradle and SSH
- Set up various IDEs with a focus on Android Studio for development using LeJOS
Building robots from scratch can be a tough task, but the Lego Mindstorms EV3 robotics kit makes it easy to create them in minutes. Far more than a toy, the programming brick allows you to create functional robots while its open source and hackable nature will allow you to use the powerful LeJOS framework to create projects of increasing complexity.
This book provides a rapid and practical guide to building with EV3. Get up and running and swiftly learn how to construct and program automated robots using the EV3's brick, motors, and sensors. Next, you'll construct an obstacle-avoiding robot and learn how to program the EV3 brick before moving on to the advanced possibilities of the LeJOS framework. You will also learn how to install LeJOS, link your computer to EV3, and how to use it to program your Lego robots in Java. You will then quickly get to grips with using LeJOS by constructing an autonomous line-tracking robot. By the end of this book, you will be able to unleash the full creative power of Lego Mindstorms EV3.