Learning SQLite for iOS
Gene Da Rocha, MSc, BSc (Hons)
- Implement Swift code using SQLite statements
- Learn the background to SQL and SQLite for mobile development, its statements, and command features through practical examples
- Extend the standard SQLite functionality and increase your software creation portfolio
The ability to use SQLite with iOS provides a great opportunity to build amazing apps. Apple's iOS SDK provides native support for SQLite databases. This combination offers the potential to create powerful, data-persistent applications.
This book starts with the architecture of SQLite database and introduces you to concepts in SQL . You will find yourself equipped to design your own database system, administer it, and maintain it. Further, you will learn how to operate your SQLite databases smoothly using SQL commands.
You will be able to extend the functionality of SQLite by using its vast arsenal of C API calls to build some interesting, exciting, new, and intelligent data-driven applications. Understand how Xcode, HTML5, and Phonegap can be used to build a cross-platform modern app which can benefit from all these technologies - all through creating a complete, customizable application skeleton that you can build on for your own apps.
What you will learn
- Explore Swift's basic language statements
- Connect to SQLite and execute SQL statements
- Extend the SQLite language to create your own software extensions
- Use HTML5 with Phonegap on iOS
- Set up a Swift project using XCode with SQLite
- Administer SQLite databases in an easy and effective way
About the Author
Gene Da Rocha, MSc, BSc (Hons) in mobile and computer science is an experienced IT professional with over 25 years in the IT industry. He has worked for a variety of companies nationally and internationally, in different industries including corporate, start-up, pharmaceutical, finance, banking, and the NHS.
Gene is also the owner and founder of a mobile solutions company, Voxstar (www.voxstar.com), based in London and Buckinghamshire. He comes from a programming and development background, and has worked with database technology, iOS, Android, Windows mobile, and a variety of other technologies.
He has been helping and advising, programming, and recently testing software for a number of companies such as DigitasLBI, Oxfam, News UK, QAWorks, Reuters, and the Association for Project Management, among many others.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to SQL and SQLite
- Database Design Concepts
- Administering the Database
- Essentials of SQL
- Exposing the C API
- Using Swift with iOS and SQLite
- iOS Development with PhoneGap and HTML5
- More Features and Advances in SQLite