- Conceptualize and write effective applications for iOS/OS X using Swift 2
- Make the most of Swift's diverse features, from configuring your projects to using design patterns and different types of databases
- A fast-paced, comprehensive guide equipped with lots of tips and tricks to help you learn about Swift programming quickly
Swift is Apple's innovative development language that was introduced at the WWDC (WorldWide Developers Conference) 2014 alongside Xcode 6 and iOS 8. This user-friendly language is packed with modern features to make programming easier and fun, with a lot of flexibility. With Swift 2 comes even better performance, a new error handling API, protocol extensions, and super support for availability checking.
This book will equip you with all the practical programming aspects of Swift 2. It covers the important features and paradigms that Swift provides to developers. You will begin by installing Xcode from the App Store and using Swift as an interpreter. Then, you will see how you can upgrade your existing Swift 1.2 code to Swift 2.0 with the help of Xcode. You will see how to use structs and generics, and work with different Design Patterns with Swift. Debug and test your code using Xcode and see how to use assembly code effectively with Swift.
By the end of this book, you will have the necessary skills to get the most out of Swift to develop effective mobile and web applications.
What you will learn
- Install Xcode from the App Store
- Upgrade your existing Swift 1.2 code to Swift 2.0
- Use the standard Swift 2.0 library and collections
- Work with structs, generics, and design patterns in Swift
- Use the new markup language to provide rich documentation of code
- Write a book using Playgrounds and Swift
- Debug and test your code using Xcode
- Integrate your code with Objective-C and use assembly code with Swift
- Leverage the Objective-C runtime when compiling Swift using associated objects
About the Author
Kyle Begeman is a self-taught programmer, entrepreneur, and educator. With over 6 years of experience in iOS development, Kyle has produced multiple applications personally and professionally (usually with large businesses). Kyle also produces educational videos and courses for others to learn how to program. A self-proclaimed nerd living in Silicon Valley, Kyle spends most of his free time listening to and playing music while thinking up the next great project. You can learn more about Kyle and his work by visiting www.kylebegeman.com.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Xcode and Swift
- Standard Library and Collections
- Using Structs and Generics
- Design Patterns with Swift
- Multitasking in Your App
- Working with Playgrounds
- Swift Debugging with Xcode
- Integrating with Objective-C
- Dealing with Other Languages
- Data Access
- Extensions, Photos, and More