Virtual Reality Blueprints
Charles Palmer, John Williamson
- Build robust, immersive VR experiences that are easy on the eye.
- Code 3D games and applications using Unity and native interfaces.
- Get to grips with the Google Cardboard, GearVR, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive (SteamVR) platforms and make use of their unique features.
Are you new to virtual reality? Do you think creating interactive VR applications is an incredibly complex challenge? If either of these questions ring a bell, then this book is for you!
This hands-on project-based guide takes you through VR development essentials for desktop, mobile, and web-based games and applications. You'll explore the four go-to platforms-Cardboard VR, Gear VR, OculusVR, and HTC Vive-as well as design immersive experiences from scratch.
Starting with the science fiction roots of virtual reality, you will build your first VR experience using Cardboard VR. You will explore user interacting in virtual space and include 360 degree images or video in your virtual gallery with Gear VR. You will then learn all about virtual movements and applying artificial intelligence for character interactions in your game while you shoot some zombies using Oculus Rift. Next, you will build and deploy a Minesweeper clone for Oculus Rift and SteamVR. Finally, you will explore best practices for VR development and learn how to achieve the best performance for all your VR projects.
What you will learn
- Use Unity assets to create object simulation
- Implement simple touch controls in your application
- Apply artificial intelligence for player and character interaction
- Add scripts for movement, tracking, scoring, and life
- Deploy your games on multiple VR platforms