The Tableau Workshop: A practical guide to the art of data visualization with Tableau
Gupta, Sumit, Pinto, Sylvester, Sankhe-Savale, Shweta
- Master the fundamentals of Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep
- Learn how to explore, analyze, and present data to provide business insights
- Build your experience and confidence with hands-on exercises and activities
Learning Tableau has never been easier, thanks to this practical introduction to storytelling with data. The Tableau Workshop breaks down the analytical process into five steps: data preparation, data exploration, data analysis, interactivity, and distribution of dashboards. Each stage is addressed with a clear walkthrough of the key tools and techniques you'll need, as well as engaging real-world examples, meaningful data, and practical exercises to give you valuable hands-on experience.
As you work through the book, you'll learn Tableau step by step, studying how to clean, shape, and combine data, as well as how to choose the most suitable charts for any given scenario. You'll load data from various sources and formats, perform data engineering to create new data that delivers deeper insights, and create interactive dashboards that engage end-users.
All concepts are introduced with clear, simple explanations and demonstrated through realistic example scenarios. You'll simulate real-world data science projects with use cases such as traffic violations, urban populations, coffee store sales, and air travel delays.
By the end of this Tableau book, you'll have the skills and knowledge to confidently present analytical results and make data-driven decisions.
What you will learn
- Become an effective user of Tableau Prep and Tableau Desktop
- Load, combine, and process data for analysis and visualization
- Understand different types of charts and when to use them
- Perform calculations to engineer new data and unlock hidden insights
- Add interactivity to your visualizations to make them more engaging
- Create holistic dashboards that are detailed and user-friendly
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who wants to get started on visual analytics with Tableau. If you're new to Tableau, this Workshop will get you up and running. If you already have some experience in Tableau, this book will help fill in any gaps, consolidate your understanding, and give you extra practice of key tools.
Sumit Gupta is an analytics professional with more than 7 years' experience spanning across marketing, sales, and product analytics. As a consultant and trainer, he has utilized Tableau to build better data-driven teams for his organization. Sumit specializes in translating vast amounts of data into easy-to-understand dashboards which provide actionable intelligence. He is a Tableau Certified Associate and enjoys training data enthusiasts to become better Tableau developers and certified Tableau associates. This book is one such effort to reach masses.
Sylvester Pinto has been using Tableau for almost a decade now for improving business performance for different industries. Sylvester has designed various business solutions using Tableau for different organizations leading to a huge impact to improve their businesses. He has a Tableau certification and as a consultant designs solutions for various organizations.
Shweta Sankhe-Savale is the Co-founder and Head of Client Engagements at Syvylyze Analytics (pronounced as civilize), a boutique business analytics firm specializing in visual analytics. Shweta is a Tableau Desktop Qualified Associate and a Tableau Accredited Trainer. Being one of the leading experts on Tableau in India, Shweta has translated her experience and expertise into successfully rendering analytics and data visualization services for numerous clients across a wide range of industry verticals. She has taken up numerous training as well as consulting assignments for customers across various sectors like BFSI, FMCG, Retail, E-commerce, Consulting & Professional Services, Manufacturing, Healthcare & Pharma, ITeS etc. She even had the privilege of working with some of the renowned Government and UN agencies as well. Combining her ability to breakdown complex concepts, with her expertise on Tableau's visual analytics platforms, Shweta has successfully trained over a 1300+ participants from 85+ companies.
- Introduction: Visual Analytics with Tableau
- Data Preparation: Using Tableau Desktop
- Data Preparation: Using Tableau Prep
- Data Exploration: Comparison and Composition
- Data Exploration: Distributions and Relationships
- Data Exploration: Exploring Geographical Data
- Data Analysis: Creating and Using Calculations
- Data Analysis: Creating and Using Table Calculations
- Data Analysis: Creating and Using Level of Details (LOD) Calculations
- Dashboards and Storyboards
- Tableau Interactivity: Part 1