Voice Enabling Web Applications: VoiceXML and Beyond
Kenneth R. Abbott
Ken Abbott's Voice Enabling Web Applications: VoiceXML and Beyond is a comprehensive introduction to the concepts, strategies, architectures, and implementation techniques underlying the development of voice-enabled Internet applications.
- Comprehensive coverage of VXML's syntax, concepts, and strategies
- Includes a hands-on tutorial and a sample packaged, multi-tier Web application prototype using Apache Cocoon
- Up-to-date information on VoiceXML 2.0 and related W3C voice activities
- Companion CD contains all software needed to begin developing VoiceXML applications immediately
This book is divided into three parts, each of which tackles an essential piece of the voice application development puzzle. In Part I, Retrospective on Voice and the Web, you'll learn how VoiceXML integrates voice recognition and synthesis technologies with markup languages, and see how VoiceXML (VXML) is a powerful vehicle for incorporating voice and graphical interfaces into today's Web architectures. In Part II, The VoiceXML Language, you'll be introduced to VXML syntax and programming concepts, quickly learning how to develop dynamic voice applications by following along with the creation of a voice-enabled personal information manager. You'll also learn about Voice User Interface (VUI) design principles, gaining valuable insight into the techniques used to create efficient, user-friendly voice applications. In Part III, Incorporating Voice Into the Web, you'll be introduced to the architectures and components used to create large-scale Web applications, and learn how to use VoiceXML with other Web technologies in a multi-tier, voice-enabled Web application.
- Chapter 1: The Role of Voice on The Web
- Chapter 2: Convergence of Speech and Web Technologies
- Chapter 3: Web Application Architectures
- Chapter 4: The Personal Information Manager
- Chapter 5: VoiceXML Concepts
- Chapter 6: VXML 1.0 Language Tutorial
- Chapter 7: VUI Design Principles and Techniques
- Chapter 8: Voice XML Programming Guide
- Chapter 9: Advanced Topics
- Chapter 10: Technology Quickstart
- Chapter 11: Adding VoiceXML To Web Applications
- Chapter 12: What's Next?