Mobile Communication Systems
- Provides the necessary background information on digital communication systems, such as speech and channel coding, digital modulations (including OFDM) and basic access protocols
- Presents the properties of a mobile radio channel and describes mobile radio propagation models
- Explains the concept of cellular systems and their design
- Covers GSM and IS-95 and reviews paging systems, first generation cellular systems, wireless telephony, trunking systems and wireless local loops
- Features HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and WLAN technologies
- Includes an introduction to smart antennas
The extensive scope of Mobile Communication Systems ensures it will be a valuable reference for communication students and engineers wishing to learn about every aspect of this fascinating and fast evolving field.
Table of Contents
Elements of the theory of digital communication systems theory.
Overview and classification of mobile communication systems.
Characterization of the mobile communication channel.
The cellular system concept.
First generation cellular telephony- NMT and AMPS examples.
GSM cellular telephony - architecture and system aspects.
GSM cellular telephony - physical layer.
Data transmission in GSM.
CDMA in mobile communication systems.
Description of IS-95 system.
Digital cordless telephony.
Wireless local loops.
Satellite mobile communication systems.
Wireless Local Area Networks.
Third generation mobile communication systems.
Application of smart antennas in ceullular telephony.