Windows Vista in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference (Paperback)
- 出版商: O'Reilly
- 出版日期: 2007-01-16
- 定價: $1,225
- 售價: 1.6 折 $199
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 752
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0596527071
- ISBN-13: 9780596527075
This unique reference thoroughly documents every important setting and feature in Microsoft's new operating system, with alphabetical listings for hundreds of commands, windows, menus, listboxes, buttons, scrollbars and other elements of Windows Vista. With this book's simple organization, you'll easily find any setting, tool, or feature for the task you want to accomplish.
Along with a system overview that highlights major changes, and a tour of the basics such as manipulating files and getting around the interface, Windows Vista in a Nutshell offers alphabetized references for these topics:
- The User Interface: Covers the Sidebar, Aero Glass, the new Control Panel layout, and applets, as well as how to customize animated windows, the desktop, Start menu, pop-up windows on the Taskbar, and more.
- The File System, Drives, Data, and Search: Discusses working with the new Windows Explorer, Virtual Folders, searches, indexing, saved searches, metadata, and sharing.
- The Internet and Networking: Examines TCP/IP, RSS, tabbed browsing, and anti-phishing features of Internet Explorer, plus cookie handling, parental control features, and more.
- Networking and Wireless: Offers an illustrated, step-by-step guide to setting up a home network; covers the Network Center, Sync Center, Hot Spot access, wireless management, collaboration, and sharing.
- Working with Hardware: Describes how to set up, maintain, and troubleshoot hardware--including keyboards, mice, monitors, USB devices, scanners, cameras, and sound devices--and how to add, install, and troubleshoot drivers.
- Security: Includes the Security Center, Windows Defender, User Account Protection, System Protection, Network Access Protection, WiFi encryption, Windows Firewall, file encryption, and more.
- Mobility: Explains Mobility Center settings, plugging a secondary monitor into your computer, and the new "network projection" feature for making presentations.
- Multimedia: Covers Windows Photo Gallery, Media Player, Media Center, podcasting features, connecting to and synching with MP3 players, recording TV and videos, making videos with Windows Movie Maker, and burning CDs and DVDs.
- The Command Prompt: Provides commands for working with files, utilities for troubleshooting the network, and instructions on how to create your own batch files.
Appendixes include information on installation, keyboard shortcuts, common filename extensions, and more. Windows Vista in a Nutshell is your one-stop source for everything you need from Microsoft's latest operating system.
Table of Contents
I. The Big Picture
1. The Lay of the Land
The Big Picture
What's New in Windows Vista
Windows Vista Editions
Upgrading from Earlier Versions of Windows
2. Using Windows Vista
Starting Up Applications
Windows and Menus
Files, Folders, and Disks
The Command Line
II. Nutshell Reference
3. The User Interface
Controlling the Interface
4. Working with the Filesystem, Drives, Data, and Search
5. Internet Explorer
6. Windows Mail
7. Networking, Wireless, and Mobility
Planning Your Network
Setting Up a Network
Wired and Wireless Connections, Management, and Configuration
Sharing Resources and Files
Networking and Internet Command-Line Tools
9. Working with Hardware
10. Managing Programs, Users, and Your Computer
User Accounts and Computer Management
Applications and Utilities
11. Performance and Troubleshooting
Performance, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting
12. Graphics and Multimedia
13. The Registry
What's in the Registry
Adding and Deleting Registry Keys and Values
Registry Protection in Windows Vista
Organization of the Registry
Backing Up the Registry
Exporting and Importing Registry Data with Patches
Five Cool Things You Can Do in Your Registry
14. The Command Prompt
Using the Command Line
Command Prompt Choices
Wildcards, Pipes, and Redirection
A. Installing Windows Vista
B. Keyboard Shortcuts
C. Keyboard Equivalents for Symbols and International Characters
D. Common Filename Extensions