Multimedia Communications: Applications, Networks, Protocols, and Standards (Hardcover)
- 出版商: Addison Wesley
- 出版日期: 2000-09-24
- 售價: $1,350
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,283
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 1034
- 裝訂: Hardcover
- ISBN: 0201398184
- ISBN-13: 9780201398182
Multimedia Communications by Fred Halsall addresses the main subject areas associated with multimedia communications (applications, networks, protocols, and standards) at a level that enables the reader to develop an in-depth understanding of the technical issues associated with this rapidly evolving subject. The book identifies the different types of multimedia applications, quantifies their communication requirements and describes the operation and protocols of the different kinds of networks that are used to support them. These networks include LANs, the Internet and World Wide Web, and home-entertainment networks such as cable and satellite.
Multimedia Communications is an updated approach to the author's Data Communications, Computer Networks and Open Systems: Fourth Edition set in the context of the increasingly important area of multimedia. It is appropriate for both Computer Science and Electronic Engineering departments.
- Covers all of the main subject areas associated with multimedia communications in one volume.
- Extensive use of detailed diagrams and worked examples for each major topic.
- Includes coverage of the main compression algorithms used with text, images, speech, audio and video.
Application and networking terminology.
2. Multimedia Information Representation.
3. Text and Image Compression.
4. Audio and Video Compression.
5. Standards for Multimedia Communications.
Standards relating to interpersonal communications.
Standards relating to interactive applications over the Internet.
Standards for entertainment applications.
6. Digital Communication Basics.
Sources of signal impairment.
Error detection methods.
The HDLC protocol.
7. Circuit-switched networks.
8. Enterprise Networks.
Multisite LAN interconnection technologies.
9. The Internet.
Fragmentation and reassembly.
ARP and RARP.
The PPP link layer protocol.
10. Broadband ATM Networks.
Wide area ATM networks.
11. Entertainment Networks and High-Speed Modems.
Satellite television networks.
Terrestrial television networks.
High-speed PSTN access technologies.
12. Transport Protocols.
RTP and RTCP.
13. Application Support Functions.
Public key certification authorities.
14. Internet Applications.
15. The World Wide Web.
Audio and video.